1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Your Lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TwinMommy2009, Jan 10, 2010.

1. TwinMommy2009

TwinMommy2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    The Deep South
    I am very curious to hear about everyones lifestyles. Sine we obviously have chickens in common, is there anything more? How diverse are we all?? Do you consider yourself "crunchy" and try to live off the grid? Or are you enjoying life as say, a CEO, driving a large SUV?? [​IMG] Do you wear name brands, or do you steer clear? Do you raise animals for meat, or pleasure??

Looking forward to the replies! [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just trying to get by here.

Drill, fill and bill by day, chick magnet by night. (I have 38 week old chicks at present)

I'll be working the rest of my life to get my kids through school... and I'll enjoy the chickens in the backyard on the way there.

I teach Principios del Evangelio each Thursday night and Sunday School on Sundays.

How's that for a lifestyle?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Paycheck to paycheck, company truck, 8 year old corolla, too many animals and the kids are starting to move back. [​IMG]

4. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I am living in a teeny little town, I have 2 horses up that live on my parent's farm, I have 2 preschoolers, and my brothers 17 yo lives with me. I drive a '91 nissan, and I do not wear brand name lol. I go to church on Sundays,but believe Sat. is the "true" sabbath. I celebrate both hannukah and Christmas. I live in a fixer-upper house that my husband and I have spent 3 years on fixing up. My goal is to have a horsey establishment that I can focus on raising a few quality Morabs and competeing in arena trail and western pleasure. I enjoy knitting, crocheting while watching Dexter or Lost or reruns of sitcoms on NickatNite. I have high hopes for my children and want them to get more outta life than I have so far (which is asking a lot as Ive gotten a lot of contentment in my life) I love my husband very much, we always have something to talk about as we are so completely different from each other lol
    Thats me in a nutshell

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am enjoying life with my retired Green Beret hubby, my own retirement from law, engaging in various activities not including my chickens and ducks such as my martial arts, bodybuilding, beading, needle work and preparing for a cross-country move. Life is what you make it. We would not mind at all living off the grid and did when we first came to Oregon after the military.

As far as clothes...I still have jeans I wore in the 7th grade and Armani suits from working. My animals are my pets but my intent is to raise meat animals in the next couple of years. Driving a conversion van to hold the dogs and us.

6. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:Hummm

moved out of the city to escape people..... both busy professional jobs... still spend every cent we earn (thanks to this new adventure) , both SUV's.... travel together at the crack of dawn to get to the city (6:45 am) and get home well after dark (6-7+ pm). Dogs, cat, parakeet spoilt to death.... chickens for both eggs (and cute ones for pleasure) meat and turkeys, lambs, goat, pigs..... I did see Food Inc!!

I think yoga pants and left over hoodies from my now non teen boys are to be treasured.... and dress clothing that adorns my body weekdays are the bain of my existance....

I think someday when retired we will sell and move farther out!!

Does that cover it?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. I don't wear name brands. My husband drives a big truck (pickup) but he's a big guy and doesn't fit into cars well so lots of gas. I drive a 10 year old mustang, but I only drive about 3 days a week. I work from home, we raised 6 kids between us. The kids grew up on lots of game that my husband hunted. I always try to have a garden. We're both self-employed and can't afford insurance. My husband is diabetic and has high blood pressure so he couldn't get insurance anyway. (Yet)

I have chickens just for eggs. My husband provides plenty of meat with his hunting. Maybe someday I'll do meat birds. I make my own soap and just started making vinegar. I do that stuff more cause I love knowing how to do things like that. Not necessarily to save money, but I'm also very cheap so it's a plus.

We're empty nesters and very much enjoying it. But I sure love it when the kids come visit. Or I go visit them.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    DH and I are young, college-educated, working professionals. Two cats, no kids.

We bought a house in the country on 1.5 acres last spring, and plan on building a coop and getting chickens and ducks next summer. (I've been about 10 years without chickens as I moved to the city for my education and to find a job).

I wouldn't necessarily say we live a modest lifestyle, but we do budget and are smart about what we spend. We don't have much debt beyond the house and we have steady incomes, so the recession didn't really affect us much. We don't have expensive hobbies or tastes, and both of us are pretty practical (DH moreso than me), so that helps. I like gardening, baking/home cooking, thrift stores/flea markets and other "self-sufficient" type things, but for us, that sort of thing is a choice and a hobby rather than a necessity right now.

We don't have fancy cars, but we do have newer cars (both used).

We don't have cable TV because we don't watch it, hence, no cable bill. [​IMG]

We usually go on vacation once per year, but it's not usually very extravagant. We like camping and going to the beach and window shopping at malls.

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    we live alright.
    i drive a volvo, we own a porshe. my husband drives a work truck. we dont live lavishly but we do okay. we are happy and our familys happy. to me thats all that really matters...
    the dream tho: more farm animals .. we are getting ducks in march tho!!! woo hoo [​IMG]

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I relate to the song that goes "I'm a common man, drive a common van, my dog ain't got a pedigree" and the one that goes "I ain't nothin but a simple man, folks call me a redneck, reckon that I am" or somethin like that.

We live in a small 560sq ft. house in the city that is really a "hick town" compared to "real cities," in an old neighborhood, not far from my in-laws who are certifiably redneck and/or crazy, depending on which one you talk to.
    I drive an old beat up 1992 Ford Ranger and I wouldn't trade it for the world. DH is making payments on a 2000 Ford Explorer, that we consider new, even at 10 years old.
    I'm a little "crunchy" I guess, but mostly I'm just "country-fied" while I have lived in a larger city and gone to college, my grandparents raised a big garden when I was growing up. I learned gardening, and how to drive a tractor, and we rebuilt my truck when I was 17, my grandma and parents have well water, we have always line-dried our clothes, just country stuff like that.

I would like to be more self-sufficient food wise, and have more land, more animals for food and pleasure, and more garden, etc. BUT all that requires money to start with (to buy land) and neither of us makes all that much money, so we are just making do with what we got for now. Maybe we can pay off some debt and save up for another down payment on some land out of the city. In this economy there's not much market for houses in general, and the demand for 560sq ft houses isn't all that large anyway, but I like this house no complaints there.
    Just wish I had room for more animals!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by