Your opinion about this coop design....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AriLovesChickens, Jan 25, 2012.

1. AriLovesChickens

AriLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I got in touch with the guy who built my coop/run (a design I helped create, which I like very much) in the hopes that he would have something smaller for me to use for younger chicken additions. He currently has a saltbox coop that's nice, and he offered me a good price on it ($225), but I'm not sure how people use and clean a coop like this. It looks as though it would be difficult to keep it cleaned out. I currently have a two month old chick that I'd like to put in this (and keep in it most of the time) so the run space is not very much (but overall would be better than the brooder she's currently in). I've been looking around for something that would work for this purpose...and for someone like me, with no tools, no truck, it's hard to find. I have to get this chick out of my house soon! [​IMG] Would this setup be worth it? (I can't tell if it opens on any other sides - that seems like it would be a deciding factor). I wonder if it could be easily converted to a tractor, or if that would be too much hassle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Cute, but doesn't look like enough room for a hen family inside or outside. It would be like being locked up in your bathroom 24x7. Just my opinion.

3. AriLovesChickens

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    It wouldn't be for a family. Right now, it would be for one eight week old chick who is not being accepted by my 5 month old flock. I'd also like to hatch some eggs sometime in the next couple of months, and I will need a place to put any chicks I keep (after they outgrow the brooder).

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    It's cute, but way to small, why is there 2 nest boxes inside? If those were gone maybe for one bird, but the sad part is there is not any room down below to enjoy movement. It would be like a caged bird :(

5. KarmaAcres

KarmaAcres New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    I'm not sure how you would clean it, is there a bigger door on the other side or does the roof lift up/off? Can he take out the nest boxes to leave one larger open space? As far as room on the bottom, that can be easily remedied by extending the run off the front or a side and honestly it would not be expensive or hard to do. Still the ramp down is really large and wastes a lot of space. I think you would be better off just finding something that is built right and will have the ability to be used in the future or by having him make modifications (putting the roof on a hinge, adding an extended run, removing nest boxes, decreasing ramp size and making it solid as young chicks will have a hard time with the distance between the rungs on the bottom part) to it that would fit your need.

6. AriLovesChickens

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Okay, thanks for the feedback. I felt the run space was rather small even for smaller chickens, but I wasn't sure about other details.

7. AriLovesChickens

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    New comments and pics he sent me:

"This coop doesn't need that many modifications. The nest box lifts out and the floor lifts out. ( I'll send pics ) I think you would only have to place a piece of plywood with traction strips on it over the stairway that is already there or put a false floor in it and a different ramp on the outside. The angle of the stairs is the slightest of any I've made. I think it would be perfect for young chicks."

And:

"I didn't address the problem of cleaning the run. Maybe you could have wheels on one end of it and handles on the other then just move it over and clean under it then move it back."

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. AriLovesChickens

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    *bump*

Another thing that bugs me...it looks like the roost is right over the stairs/ramp. I think that part might be open (and thus pooped on)? Not sure.

I'm getting frustrated because I'd like to find something fairly cheap, and I need to get this chick outside before my husband throws a fit. A small coop from local builders (no run) would cost $300-400. I just saw a really junky (plywood + 2x4s) used rabbit hutch online for $100, but it's kind of nasty looking. What would you use to house a single chicken? Like I said, it would also be used for post-brooder chicks or maybe quarantining 1-2 new additions at a time.

9. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    you know this would work, just try to redo the run more and or add a decent run on it and you got a coop. its not bad especially when you removed those nesting boxes. when its time to have her lay eggs, add one back, or by then you maybe able to get a new coop. spring is coming and coops will be out full force to sell. I say go for it and do what you can. save a marriage is always better LOL

10. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    the one thing I would change? is the stairs going in, just a single board will do, nail some slats on it and put it side ways. saves room on the ground and no wasted space like that one its got.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by