Your opinion on breed to get...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by grandmaof5, Aug 31, 2009.

1. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I thought I had my mind made up; then DH (city boy that he is)told me he doesn't like white chickens. So now I need to re-think. So, here are my criteria, folks. DH says brown chickens. I prefer a heritage breed, and one that is rare in Canada (or North America). I'd like a dual purpose breed; not necessarily "one egg everyday" girl. We live at 45 degrees north latitude and our winters can get very cold (-20 C for weeks on end) so not fragile types. We'll have only hens for the first while, no cockerels.

So now I'm open for all opinions...

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    What i did when i couldnt chose was get a few pairs of different colors. They look so good together. For cold winters you want to stay away from the girls with big single combs. I like the Silver Lace Wyandotte, the Buff Orpingtons, the Black Aussies and everyone should always have a couple of Easter Egg chickens for the blue and green eggs. You can also go look at chickens on a website and see which ones appeal to you.
    Quote:

3. ke_ben

ke_ben Chillin' With My Peeps

Turkens/naked necks are supposed to be really cold tolerant, large, and consistent layers. Your choice of color and beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

4. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    ging3rhoffman, I love your idea, however, we are planning on getting only 4 pullets. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Wyandottes are cold hardy and they have rose combs which cuts down on the frostbite in the winter. I like my wyandottes a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by