Your opinion

what would you do?

• other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

STACEYH

Free Ranging
Jul 14, 2021
. I thought I had seen one of my girls out near the pen yesterday. When I went out I did a head count all my girls in their pen happy as can be. So I just figured I misjudged the distance on the camera. Again today I thought I saw one of my girls not in the pen but just outside of the pen. It was white and I only have the two white leghorns. I went out and searched.It seems someone dropped off a chicken. It heard my flock I am assuming and has been hanging around for two days. It seems to be a pullet maybe an Amberlink. It is skittish and will not come up to me or let me near it. She does however want to be with my flock. My flock go up to her but don't seem to care if she is there or not. Your opinion...... what would you do? What ever disease it has, if any has been passed through the fence.

Well I would keep it and see. As you said, quarantine is a moot point. Just let your girls out when you see her around, and more than likely she will follow them back into your set up.

If you are currently maxed out on your space, culling would be good, or you could call someone one. But you asked for my 2 cents, and I would keep her. If she/he does not work out, then I would cull her.

Mrs K

Are you out in a rural area? My neighbor's birds regularly visit my yard because we have better food and forage lol. We are in a residential area bordering on rural, so chickens are pretty common in the area in general. People very rarely dump hens, if it's a hen your birds could have called her in when calling to each other. If the bird was carrying anything your birds have already been exposed, so I honestly wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on them for any signs of infection, pest and illness alike. I have an Amber link hen, and I can say she gets out more than any other bird, I had to clip both wings to keep her in and I have a tenth of an acre just for them. Personally, I would let the bird be. If it wants to join your flock it will, given a chance. It could just be visiting to look for snacks, I definitely wouldn't eat it just because it showed up. It very well may be going home to roost at night if your neighbors are not that far off.

Back
Top Bottom