Your opinions about roosts for guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by allidew2, Sep 15, 2011.

1. allidew2

allidew2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Upstate South Carolina
    What are your opinions on roosts for guineas? Any advantages of one type over the other? I was going to go with 2-3 spaced on graduated levels (like steps?) until I saw some that look just like a small ladder mounted horizontally.... this idea was to keep the guineas from fussing over the highest level of the roosts. Hmmm... maybe incorporate both(?) with the 'ladder' roost being the highest level, so they are all happy (and equal? LOL)

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Both would be my choice, you can never go wrong with plenty of perching space for Guineas [​IMG]

3. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Mine roost on a very old swing set frame & old tree limbs. I am sure thy will roost on anything you provide. If you build something extra special they won't appreciate it the way you do. Not sure if you are located in a cooler climate. Just make sure the perches are not too small that their feet have to fully curve around them in colder climates. Helps with frost bite. Since they will use their body heat to warm their feet, if the toes are under the roost they won't be getting any heat from the guineas body.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    The 3 row ladder roost that I have for them is 6 ft high and they ALL still fight for the top roost. [​IMG]

The only ones that are happy are the ones that get to the highest roost before dark. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When they were young.
    [​IMG]

5. Mamaboid

Mamaboid Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Muncy Valley, PA
    I have several different types of roosts in my chicken/guinea coop. My regular chicken roost, a 4 foot step ladder for younger cickens, a flat area for those that like that better....and where do my guineas roost????

on the roof rafters clear up in the peak of the ceiling on the 2x4s.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine also roost in the rafters unless they decide to sleep in the trees. Regardless of how many roosts you have they will pick the highest one and fight over it. My opinion, best to have all the roosts at the same level so there's less to fight about [​IMG]

7. allidew2

Jul 6, 2011
    Upstate South Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG] Typical, huh? Like when dogs (and kids!) like to play with the box or package a gift came in, more than the gift!

8. allidew2

Jul 6, 2011
    Upstate South Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

Kuntry.... I'm thinking about putting a ladder-type roost with rungs (like a ladder mounted between the walls the flat way) up there just for the top roost! With the extra space (hopefully enough for all), you think that will make everybody happy up there? Whatcha think? [​IMG]

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

Kuntry.... I'm thinking about putting a ladder-type roost with rungs (like a ladder mounted between the walls the flat way) up there just for the top roost! With the extra space (hopefully enough for all), you think that will make everybody happy up there? Whatcha think? [​IMG]

I think that is a GREAT idea!!! [​IMG]

However, your guineas will have another opinion. [​IMG] We would love to think that it would make everyone happy but speaking from experience, they will never be satisfied. I have come to the conclusion that if every single bird doesn't have a spot on the ladder roost, they will still complain. All of mine want the top roost and there is just not enough room for all 24 guineas to fit on the top roost. When they were younger, they could all fit but 3 months later, they have all outgrown the top roost. So whoever doesn't get a spot before bed time, then they are destined for the roost below the top roost.

How many guineas do you have? How long will the roost be? If you don't have too many, it may actually work and they may all be happy. We can only hope.

10. allidew2

Jul 6, 2011
    Upstate South Carolina
    Kuntry...... believe it or not, I don't have ANY yet! Waiting for the weather to cool off so we can start construction on a coop and run for 10-12 keets next spring..... I'm already on the list to get them from a local breeder, upstate SC!!!! [​IMG] Can't wait! ! ! [​IMG]
    In the meantime, guess where I've been and will be for the next couple months? (hint......> [​IMG] BYC) I'm learning as much as possible about coop designs before we build, caring for the brand new lil' fluff-balls when I get them, training then to come in at night, and TOTALLY enjoying all the pics and stories on here! Of course, I'm full of questions and probably will always be, so, glad I found y'all! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by