Your opinions please.. Wyandottes!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CelticMoon1, Nov 29, 2009.

1. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Here's my 6 months old roos.. Sorry the pic quality isn't the best, and it proved quite hard to get a good view of them in the run.

Gulliver, GLW:
    [​IMG]

Silvio, SLW:
    [​IMG]

Now this is our cull, but we're keeping him till spring I suppose...
    [​IMG]

2. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    whhhhooooohooooooo GULIVER is breathtaking! what handsome roos, but in my honest opinion, he steals the show. WOW.

3. CelticMoon1

Jul 25, 2009
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG] Yes he really was a fluke as he was given to me at 6 weeks old for free (the woman had 2 chickens but only wanted pullets) and I do like him very much. My hope is to use him as foundation roo for my GLW stock [​IMG]

The pic doesn't really do Silvio justice though, his body shape is very much like Gulliver's, though his lacing in the wing area is a bit poorer. He did NOT like the camera and didn't want to turn his side towards it LOL

Now I am wondering about the cull... These colors aren't easy to come by here, and those available are of limited bloodlines. My SLW roos are "fresh blood" genetically b/c their father was a Danish import. I think his lacing is passable, but he is leaner than the other roos and his comb and wattles less prominent. Does anyone think someone would use him for breeding or should we give him away as a "hobby roo"? (I guess he could improve somewhat with age, but still...)

4. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    gulliver is the most beatifull rooi have ever seen
    iwould like to have his pic as my screen saver on my comp.
    very nice very nice i love it.[​IMG]:celebrate

5. ceadar post

ceadar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    WOW Gulliver is very nice. [​IMG] Wish I had him for my buff columbian wyandotte project. My glw are not that nice. [​IMG] Mike

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I would SERIOUSLY consider keeping the cull until he matures.

7. CelticMoon1

Jul 25, 2009
    Quote:Oh, I am keeping him at least until spring, probably summer - he's my "back-up bird"! [​IMG]

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    But remember the round body shape. Go to acornhollow's site and look at the diagram of wyandotte type and the 'circle' shape.

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The first one is probably your best. The 2 SLW will probably fill out more once their second moult hits. They could be more "circle" like stated in the post above though. Very beautiful birds.

ETA: I'd watch the white wyandotte girl in the first pic o.o She looks mad [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by