Your Perfect Rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hillschicks, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    If you could pick any breed of rooster to breed into your backyard flock, what would he be and why??

2. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    And i chose this forum because chicks are the endgame

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    My favorite is my Basque rooster Big Fella - he is friendly, good to the hens, keeps the peace in the coop, and is a very handsome fellow. Every morning when I open the pop door he does his hen dance for me - and once gave a hen a stern peck when she was having a fit after I caught her.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I chose a Rhode Island Red. The reason I have a RIR is that he can be used to make sex-linked chicks.

I also have a true Ameraucana from a breeder--he should be homozygous for the blue egg gene, so all his babies should lay blue or green eggs.

5. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    We had a RIR mix and he was a very aggressive rooster. He met our crock pot.

Then we had a Bantam Mille Fleur d'Uccle. He was a wonderful rooster. Very protective, loyal to his ladies, and gentle to us. Sadly he seemed to have a VERY hard time with the hot southern heat. He just dropped dead on night off his roost. All of my bantams died in the summer. So, no more bantams for us. All my standards are gorgeous and healthy. I've raised 20 hens in two years, never lost one.

This time around, we decided on full size. I went with the Corn Flakes rooster. lol We got a Welsummer. Mostly because eventually I want to have olive eggers.

6. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    How is an olive egger made?

7. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Well, he will be used to hopefully give me a Welsummer cross pullet one day that will lay chocolate eggs. I don't care for the look of a Welsummer hen so I am hoping to have a hen go broody one day and incubate half Welsummer/half EE eggs or something. I hope to do some fun crosses of Black Copper Maran with my Welsummer rooster, as well as EEs and then keep whatever resulting hen grows up and lays neat looking eggs. :) All of my EE lay very different colored eggs. Ranging from sky blue to am army green. I'm always looking to add variety to my eggs.

8. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    So crossing a dark egglayer with a blue egg layer you get an olive egg... What if you just cross a light brown egger with a blue egger?? A darker blue/green??

9. I'd want a handsome, respectful roo that was like the sheriff of the coop, but was friendly to people. I'd want him to have a full, yet quiet, crow, that the neighbors wouldn't hear, ever.

10. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    We currently have a buff brahma roo... I love his crow and my neighbors are all family (farmers) ... My roosters can crow all day long... Wish my dads and brothers would shut the hell up tho lol... I feel bad for people who cant have roosters, people need to shut up and mind their business

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by