Your reccomendations on smokers

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by PurpleChicken, Jul 7, 2008.

1. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    A few folks here have said how yummy smoked foods are and how a smoker
    does a good job on a chicken.

I'd like to pick one up, just not a crazy expensive one. It should be propane
    and be able to hold a large turkey.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. If you don't
    mind mentioning your favorite use for it I'd love to hear that too.

Thanks!!!

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    We got one on sale for $90.00 at walmart. it holds 2 or 3 turkeys and is propane. I like using it to smoke salmon

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    My absolute favorite is the Big Green Egg. Although expensive initially, they last forever and the customer service is unbeatable! My ceramic collar had a crack in it and though I thought it'd be a hassle when I emailed the company, they gave me a credit letter immediately and sent one to the seller to replace mine in their next shipment.
    I cook everything on mine and it's easy to use. I have the xtra lg one because I smoke multiple turkeys for Thanksgiving for us and friends, but they have sizes to fit almost any budget.
    The meats all turn out deliciously smoked and juicy and you can also make pizzas in there and breads on the stone. They cook those a lot like the brick ovens in the pizza place. I've done turkeys, chickens, roasts and of course the usual fare of burgers and brats and they all come out perfect. Fish and veggies too.
    I ran through at least 4 of the Mr Smoker smokers before taking the plunge and buying this one and I've not regretted it.
    HTH!
    [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Here we go again! [​IMG]

I was gonna suggest Winston lights... butt I see I'm barking up the wrong tree!

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    [​IMG]

6. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    PC if you get that smoker before the processing party bring it over! We'll be on the look out for one too [​IMG]

7. greenapple

greenapple Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Central Florida
    I don't smoke much, only about a pack a day [​IMG] , I use my grill, just flip the burner cover over and put the wet wood chips in foil and the upside down burner cover. They also make smoker boxes to go in grills. My grill can hold two beer can chickens or one 20 lbs turkey - tom has to lay down though, the grill is to small to shove a foster or mini keg into his cavity and have him stand.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Alton Brown (Good Eats) made a home made one for like VERY little money. You should do a search with good eats and smoker in the title. It was easy to make too.

9. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    Mine is not propane. It is electric and I LOVE it! It holds a lot and because it is electric it holds the temp completely steady. We have smoked ribs, pork loins, pork chops, turkeys, roasts etc etc. Ours is a brinkman and they sell it at Academy Sports and Lowe's. Home Depot carries it I think also. It is around $60. The only problem is after a few years the coil will blow out in it. For $60 we just replace the whole thing. You can replace the coil for about 30. It is well worth it to us because you just add water, wood, and plug it up. No flare ups etc. If you are not dead set on propane you might want to check it out. [​IMG]

Edited to add... it holds two large turkeys and you can also grill on it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Heeheee hee, DUH, I thought that it was about ciggs. My bad! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by