Your thoughts before I commit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Czech's_chicks, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I used to mix my commercial feed with DE and flax seed but was also thinking of starting to use garlic powder. Anyone had any experience with this?

What about a small amount of vinegar in the water...just a cap full per gallon?

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Too much garlic is said to give eggs an off flavor. Doesn't harm them, they just don't taste right is what I have read. You can use apple cider vinegar (ACV) in your water. It will act as a natural de-wormer and also help to keep your waterer cleaner. Note that you do NOT want to use ACV in a galanized waterer. It will eat through the galvanizing and then the thing will rust.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) wont work as a "Natural" Wormier it has little affect on worms.

Apple Cider vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium.
    What ACV will do is normalize pH levels in the stomach, improve digestion and the assimilation of nutrients.

Chris

4. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Hi all, just registered and I love this site. Was wondering how much ACV in the waterer?

Thanks all,

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:1/8 cup per gallon of water in 3 to 4 day intervals.

Chris

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:My guess is not enough to smell... not sure tho-

7. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will start today:)[​IMG]

momma of 3 buff orps, 4 RIR, 1 Beautimus EE, 6 White Leghorns, 1 Gold Laced Wyandote, 1 Dominecker and 1 teenage Roo:) you should hear him crow!

8. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I've never fed garlic to my chickens but I have fed it to my horse for fly control. Garlic happened to be one of the main ingreidents in a product I used to feed. I don't know how he tasted but I know he smelled like garlic and when I worked him hard - his perspiration smelled like garlic too. [​IMG] Based on that - I'd say your eggs may have a garlic taste.

Joni

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use 1 tbs of acv per gallon of water.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will start today:)[​IMG]

momma of 3 buff orps, 4 RIR, 1 Beautimus EE, 6 White Leghorns, 1 Gold Laced Wyandote, 1 Dominecker and 1 teenage Roo:) you should hear him crow!

I should add that you will want to use the ACV like Bragg. One that is pure Apple Cider Vinegar.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by