Your thoughts on crossbreeds "mutts" (poll)

would you buy a good producing mutt

• yes

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

callmeRISH

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 6, 2014
my thinking is that if you crossed two breeds and it came out as an amazing bird like lays 300 eggs a year and weighs up to 8 lbs would you buy it? personally im asking because im wondering if anyone would buy a good crossbreed if i made it. im thinking most people wouldnt at least not without multiple people giving good reviews on the bird, but just wondering if you guys would buy a bird like that.

I have heard mutt ducks are very good ducks. Right now the inn is full with my runners and buffs, but I would consider a small (five pounds or less) mutt. My primary purpose for having ducks, by the way, is slug-eating, and runners were rated quite well on that score. And they are cute. So, cute mutts that eat lots of slugs and are smallish I would buy, next time I buy ducks.

I've had plenty of mutts over the years and have enjoyed them just as much as my pure bred birds.
I wouldn't personally buy that cross breed right now since I don't eat duck eggs or meat but I'm sure it would probably be quite popular in my area.

Decenter, no i would not. There are plenty of duck breeds who lay well, actually better than chickens and plenty well documented for pest control. I like pure ducks because i know generally speaking what to expect.

I actually don't own a mixed breed duck at all. I can see for meat purposes, (x'ing some Pekin and Muscovy are popular) but i dont' eat duck so for me that is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the feedback I will keep small slug eater in mind. Just out of curiosity Kevin565 what kind of ducks do you own,and why do you like them

In the chicken world, red star, black star, sexlinks, golden comets, easter eggers, production rhode island reds, etc, etc, all mutts, and excellent egg layers.
I had a accidental cross of khaki campbell and mallard, she crapped out TONS of eggs! She was a excellent sitter and mother also. But I had a problem with fox eating all my ducks in my pond so I advertised her latest 25 (yup 25) ducklings on Craigslist for free. I ended up giving the mom and the few others I had left away also. Probably could have made money on them but I saved anyway, they cost too much to feed to let them become fox dinners, ohh and snapping turtle snacks!

Wow 25 ducklings thats insane! GoingQuackers thank you for the feedback im willing to accept any kind i can get just want to make sure itd be worth it before i go off and buy me a drake.

My answer would be it depends. I know I wouldn't be an early buyer. Like with many things, I let a lot of other people test the waters first so I can see what they have to say. Cross-breeding of course happens in nature, but intentional cross breeding has to be carefully thought out, and it can take years to develop a desirable animal with consistent desirable characteristics, and without potentially undersirable ones. The undesirable ones sometimes don't manifest for years, as in some animals where cross-breeding will significantly shorten the normal lifespan.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea for you, and I'm not trying to deter you. It just isn't something I'd pursue myself. I've bred both dogs and cats, but I've never intentionally cross-bred any animal. I just don't have the stomach for the problems that can be encountered along the way because I get very upset over sick or dying animals. I had a Rouen duckling last spring that was blind from birth and went downhill from there. I felt so sorry for her that I let her sleep in the bed with us on a separate blanket. She only lasted ten days, and I was a mess for three days afterward.

Like the others who've responded, I don't eat duck or duck eggs, so the characteristics you'd be breeding for wouldn't be selling points for me. The most important things to me in a duck or any animal I own are personality and temperament. Our ducks are family members just like our dogs and cats, so we want ducks that will socialize with us. We also tend to prefer animals we consider "pretty," but I realize that's very subjective.

Good luck in your endeavor. I'll be curious to hear how you make out if you pursue it.

Last edited:
Thank you yes I still haven't decided on what to cross with and I understand that it will take a long time to do it good but I've noticed many people like the looks and temperament more than produce so I will be restarting my research on what to cross my WH's with thank you everybody for your feedback

I would not. I like to know what I am getting when it comes to calm/nervous, egg laying, weight, etc... Not that you can guarantee what you are getting when you get a purebred, however the chances are better.

I have 4 female Welsh Harlequins. we chose them for size, calmness first then egg laying.

We also adopted a Pekin drake that needed a home. We will not be hatching any eggs out. If we want more ducks I will get more WH's from a breeder.

I should also add that I have spent many, many, many (too many
tongue.png
) years in the dog show ring, so I may be a little biased about mix breeds because of that.

Back
Top Bottom