1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

your thoughts on eggs that get cold please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by postalpoultry, Mar 18, 2013.

1. postalpoultry

postalpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    Hello all,
    I would be interested in your thoughts on my dilemma. I have a HUGE enclosure in which I raise, chickens,guineas,Muscovy ducks,runner ducks,geese and turkeys. (Before you say it, thank you for the concern I know they say you can't do this but I have been doing it since before people had computers to ask "can I" no problems yet!)[​IMG]
    Ok so, I am in Oklahoma we had a very warm period a bit ago, everyone out in the yard got all worked up and started nesting! Well, you guessed it, it turned off cold!
    Now hears the ? These eggs were just in the lets say LAID stage (had not been SET on)
    when it turned cold (I would say lower 40s to mid 30s nites) what do you think?? Shall i attempt to incubate or agree with the girls who gave up on them and started over??
    Really wouldn't think twice would just do it but with all the variety of eggs will involve every incubator I have LOL.

Thanks for your time!!! Teresa

[​IMG]

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I might would incubate and then candle them at ten days and go from there. If they are not fertile then you will know soon enough!

I have a HUGE enclosure in which I raise, chickens,guineas,Muscovy ducks,runner ducks,geese and turkeys. (Before you say it, thank you for the concern I know they say you can't do this but I have been doing it since before people had computers to ask "can I" no problems yet!)[​IMG]

3. postalpoultry

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    LOL thanks for the back up don't know why I'm kidding myself, started cleaning incubators soon as I finished the post![​IMG]

4. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Ha! We sound a lot alike! Hope it all works out just the way you want it to!

5. postalpoultry

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    Thanks Much me too!!! WOULD STILL BE INTERESTED IN STORIES OF OTHERS ON THIS TOPIC!

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Oh yes..sorry... Well my sister just had a successful brood hatch that was similair to yours. The original hen that was sitting on the eggs decided she didn't want be a momma any more! She left them cold on a night that was 28 degrees. A new hen came along much later the next day and sat them for the rest of the time. Out of about 14 eggs 7 of them hatched.

7. postalpoultry

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    awesome! and I have no idea what you would have to be sorry for! lol Thanks

8. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Your welcome! I think when I see writing in red I think ''Yipe, someones ANGRY!''[​IMG][​IMG]

9. postalpoultry

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    oopps my bad! I just LOVE red lol

10. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    That makes sense! Mind if I ask you a question back? You raise Runners and I raise runners and wanted to know if yours ever go broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by