Your thoughts on show breeds for kids

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FluffyChickenMama, May 24, 2012.

1. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Songster

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    My daughter is now 4 and Im wanting to get her started in showing chickens at the state fair. Im not very familiar with bantams but since shes so small I thought that might be a good place to start?? I was wondering if any of you bantams lovers can recommend a good calm starter breed for her. Maybe a cochin or bramha??

Thanks.. Renae

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    My choice would be an OEGB. They are so sweet and docile, even the roos!!! My 8 year old just loves them and they are pocket sized :) Our bantam cochins and our bantam brahma are also really sweet, loveable birds. I just like the size and ease of handling with the OEGB.

3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Songster

My kids adore our bantam Cochins, even though they don't show them or belong to 4 H. They are really easy to handle, calm, and many actually seem to crave human attention.

4. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Songster

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys.. Im going to be looking for her some birds to start working with soon. Maybe try a couple different good natured breeds and let her choose her favorite??

Renae..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: