Your thoughts on these 2? Lots of pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lswatson111304, Dec 2, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Ok, so I purchased these two from a back yard breeder. They just had random birds all in together. So these are mixed. Just wondering what you think about them? What do you think they are mixed with? Both are approx the same age..like a few days apart at most. I think they hatched on October 6th.
    I've asked the opinion on the sex of my red one, I was told Girl, I hope so. I'm assuming the white one is a boy?

Goldie (the red one) and Pickle together. As you can see She is a LOT bigger than "he" is. He was very much a runt growing up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For fun. They are in the Christmas Spirit! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pickle a few weeks back all the way to the right. You can see my "Chicken Nugget" to the left. He is the only one that I was pretty sure was a boy.
    [​IMG]

Pickle as a baby.
    [​IMG]

OK, so just wondering for both what you think they are mixed..or is there no way to tell?
    And for Pickle, Boy right? Just checkin! LOL

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Goldie is an Easter Egger, a true american heritage breed (pullet). Pickle is a White Sultan, a lovely Asian breed (cockeral). He might not have the gene for five toes, some sultans lack that trait, hatchery quality as some chicken newbies call it.

Have fun and those are some super cute chick-chicks ya got there! [​IMG]

3. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Thank you!
    I was hoping Goldie was an Easter egger but they told me that they didn't have any? I love her either way she is as sweet as can be!
    I had to look up the white sultan, they sure are pretty. I'm loving my mixed back yard chickens! The only one that seems to be a little snotty is Chicken Nugget. LOL:lol:

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    She could also be an americana cross rhode island red. Glad I could help too! ^__^

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I think your pickle is a silkie mix, they need 2 copies of the silkied gene to be silkie. You other looks like an easter egger, but she has a single comb, so no green/blue eggs. Might be a d'uccle cross, what color eggs did they hatch from? Did they have large fowl or just Bantams? That could help narrow down the possible breeds?

6. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    They had both bantams and LF. I don't know what color eggs they came from. They only have one silkie, he is a buff silkie roo.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Do you know what breeds they did have? That would help narrow it down, very pretty birds by the way. [​IMG]

8. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I lied, they did have one white silkie roo at one point but when I got these he was not in with the hens, he was in a cage waiting to be sold. SO its possible they had him breeding at one point.
    No clue what breeds they have. I guess I just have some sweet baby mixes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by