Your thoughts on this craiglist post....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hellvagirl, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Hellvagirl

Hellvagirl Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ellijay,GA
  2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Seems OK to me, they do make a point to say they have rare breeds and that no one else has any now.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My personal opinion is that they are priced WAY to high. You would do much better to get some eggs and hatch them yourself. $10 for a chick is crazy, even if they are rare breeds.

Here's something else to think about. What if you go and pay $10 each for your chicks and 3/4 of them turn out to be roos? That would make me sick, personally. Just a thought... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  4. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Seems high to me. Our local FFA has a chicken auction in the spring, as a fundraiser for their group. Lots of people go and bid on birds...they sell some of these breeds for $5-10 as 6 week old pullets. The other thing - if this is a new hatchery - are the birds sexed? or from healthy stock? guarantees? Personally, I would stick with the more well known hatcheries...or hook up with some BYC breeders![​IMG] Good luck!

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Agree!!! You could buy a nice incubator with the money you wuold spend on a dozen that may or may not live "in the winter and with no one else having them"!!

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have a trio of Lakenvelders, I had no trouble buying mine as chicks, they are not that rare.

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Been there done that with the UK market.....5 roos and one female out of one batch of very expensive eggs! arghhhhh

8. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    if they can sell them at that price more power to them. $10 here will buy you pullets ready to lay or old hens.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Week olds? Even for rare breeds, that is:

Too high.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Since when are buff orpington's at 14 weeks rare???? $13???? that is way too much money. I paid $5 for mine at 15 weeks and $2.50 for chicks......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by