your toughts on keeping the lid on ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster1969, Dec 3, 2008.

1. rooster1969

rooster1969 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    i've done alot of reading and lisening sence my first try at hatching a mounth ago , pure disaster! I have sence got a hygrometer and two more thermometers. igot a 1588 hovabator and the temps seem to be ranging between 98.5 and 101, i think that sounds ok . i have two hygrometers in there also somewhere between 48 and 55. i rigged up a funnel and a straw so i can pull the little red plug in the top and and water as needed. so there for i was thinking of leaveing the lid on for the whole 18 days then taking the turner out for the last 3 raising the humidity about 10 to 15 and shutting in back up for the hatch. please tell me if i'm on the right track or not , i got two dozen eggs coming thursday. buff bramas and brabanters and i would realy like to see a few hatch. you won't hurt my feelings abit if this is wrong i would realy like to here any repliey. ouh by the way i know my selling realy sux. you people here are the best thank's ahead of time !!!

p.s. the temps and the humidity i listed above have been there for about 3 days know.trying to get every thing right?

thank's again ,
    rick

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't have an incubator yet... but sounds like you are on the right track... I'm certain some bator eggsperts will come along and give some advise.

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Sounds right to me...keep on that track, only thing is if you feel like candling the eggs. But you don't have to.

4. rooster1969

rooster1969 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    thank's for the replies. i sure hope this is right, i would like to see these babys hatch a whole lot worst than i would like to candle the eggs.the only thing that bothers me alittle is my measureing devises have a fair little spread between them one is a fluckers from the pet shop and a acurite from wally world. i also put a mercury themometer in there from lyons roll-x, its reading about 100.5.
    got my fingers x,
    rick

5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I do candle my eggs. Not so much to see for my own pleasure (though it is neat!) but to catch the eggs that go bad before the 'splode. One bad egg can ruin your whole hatch if it's not caught.

I usually candle between days 10-14 and for the most part, the clears are clears and those that have developed, go on to the hatcher.

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I don't know the kind of incubator you are using but I wrote someone who suggested doing this with LG's. They got great hatches by not opening the incubator. If I am not mistaken though, I think they said they left the plug out. I have not tried it yet but I have tried the dry incubation and it worked pretty good.
    Becky

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Sounds good !! A few things to think about.....

You should candle at least once to take the bad eggs out (about day 12 should be ok) you dont want anything exploding or getting rotten in there. That could effect the other eggs. If you smell a "funky" smell comming from the bator you should open it and find the bad egg(s).

I think you should read this article about hum, If your last hatch went bad I would check this out and see if it's for you, Many people do this and it works great (but everyone has there own way that works) JMO - I think 50-55 the first 18 days is to high. I keep mine about 30-35 day 1-18 and have great hatches. https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

As
    far as the vent plug goes, One plug should be open day 1-18 air flow is a VERY important part of incubator, Then on day 18 you should open the other plug.

Well, good luck and keep us posted !!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  8. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Definitely Candle the eggs at least once at 7days leaving infertile eggs the lengyh of the hatch can contaminate the others. Opening the incubator during the first 18 days is not really detrimental. The critical time not to open the incubator is the last 3 days. Your temperature seems to be OK the average between the high and low would be about 99.5. Humidity shouldbe about 45% 1st 18 days, and 65% the last 3 days. Dry incubation is much touted, but the eggs have to be candled freuqently to make sure the dry down is proper.

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    If you are doing the dry incubation you take the vent plugs out until day 18 then put one back in-if it is a styraphome incubator anyway.
    Becky

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think that's too high for your humidity...I try and keep mine no higher than 30-35% for the first 18 days. I also never have my plugs in.....but I think the natural humidity where you live makes a difference in what you decide to do with them. I use 3 1588s and have close to 100% hatches with my own eggs doing it that way and generally close to 40- 50% with shipped eggs.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by