YOU'RE IN MY BOX

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 33yardbirds, Sep 19, 2012.

1. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    22 layers, 6 boxes, 20 eggs in one box. Have caught 3 hens jammed in the box, these are large brn egg layers.

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Pretty typical. We have 2 boxes that are pretty much identical, yet all 6 hens use just one of 'em. Who knows what go thru those feathery little heads! LOL

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    All in one day? Sounds like you need a bigger box to hold the eggs.

4. mickey328

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    LOL, the box is comfy for 1 hen but I've seen two squeeze in it. Of the 6, 5 roost regularly but one seems to always sleep in the box. Fortunately, we're able to gather several times a day, so as a rule there are only ever more than a couple in it at a time. Just once when we were away did we come back to find 5 eggs in there. The two are side by side...I wonder if we should take out the partition and just make it one big one. I'm willing to bet though they'd all still lay on the same side, LOL.

5. Dreamwalker

Dreamwalker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    [​IMG]

Well with my girls they all go to the same nest.We took the center out to make room for 4 to sit comfortable.But not..all are standing around waiting .Or climbing in on top of whoevers in there. We have straw in ours and a door to give them privacy.Now that all 15 are laying.Were getting eggs at bedtime.As their going to roost.Daily theres one of my EE's coming out of the box.Their box started out as a blanket storage box.We made 8 cubbies to start.Just to see how they did.And as they started laying.It ended up they all liked the same spot.In the pic 2 are on the nest.And the other 3 are waiting in line....

6. mickey328

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Hehe, it seems pretty universal. I wonder of the "lead" girl doesn't choose and then the others all copy her. With just 6 it's not a really big issue for us, but I can see how it would be a real issue if you had a lot of 'em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by