1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Youth and town falling apart - opinions please

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by texasbartrambaby, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I wouldn't say the town is falling apart because they don't have a football team.

There is definitely something wrong with the program if they don't want to play ball anymore.

2. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Well, its not just the football program. There are a lot more issues concerning our school district. We have nearly 50 girls pregnant, failure rate at an all time high, etc. etc. Its to the point in school that kids no longer take home their work because they don't bring it back and therefore "too many" were failing. This is just the tip of the iceberg and I was wanting outside opinion.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It's hard to say from the outside. There were a number of things mentioned in the article comments; drugs, lack of parenting, apathy on the part of the residents. One former resident said they should just nuke the place.

Having just left West Texas for my hometown in Wisconsin, I often wondered about a lot of the small towns that seemed to have nothing going on. What are your youth programs? What are your community activities / festivals? What are the local civic groups doing for the community?

I live near a small village of 800 people in Wisconsin with most of the other communities around it numbering a couple hundred people. There is no lack lack of support for school sports of course, yet there is also the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H programs, American Legion/community sponsored youth baseball and softball teams. Every community has its own little festival every year. The Lions Club and Volunteer Fire Dept throw a big Labor Day festival at the park every year in our community. In short, people in our community are involved in improving the community.

I didn't always see things like that in West Texas. It always bothered me anytime I lived anywhere that didn't have a Memorial Day parade. One American Legion Post I belonged to in New Mexico, didn't feel the need to bother with it. Those aren't the type of places where I'd choose to live.

4. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Thanks for your reply. No, unfortunately there are not a lot of activities around here for youth. We have an annual parade, some club activities and the 4h program is great but the school is just falling wayward. Its very upsetting and I wish I knew what to do to help.

When I began discussing it with others, I mentioned that there needs to be consequences for the teen pregnancy, failures, drinking, drugs etc. I mentioned that when we grew up we deemed those people as "losers". There was shame in those choices and those kids were punished and parents warned us not to hang around those kids. You should have heard the bashing from other parents over this statement- that these kids cannot make good decisions because their brains are not fully developed until age 25 and they cannot be responsible for their actions.

Yes, kids make bad decisions but to not hold them responsible for their actions teaches them nothing. There has been public outcry among elders in our community about allowing these kids to continue to be on student council, athletics, cheerleaders, drum majors etc etc while carting a kid around or having a dui Friday night or testing positive for drugs. I was told kids are too immature and that we must give them the attention that they are seeking because they are crying out for help. Yes, and no but I don't think giving a girl a baby shower and allowing her to continue cheering or being part of student activities is acceptable. She's a parent now, not a sophomore. Commend her for finishing school of course!

The quitting because you don't like the coach or you don't think you get to play as much as you want deal is very disturbing to me. Its garbage in my opinion, and yes I have a boy who plays in junior high. He doesn't always like it, its hard work and yes the coaches can be hard but that is athletics. I don't agree with allowing the boys who failed to start at three weeks when their grades are barely passing - putting the boys who pass the whole time back on second string. Not fair, but such is life.

5. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Any woman who chooses the life of her unborn baby over killing it will not get any shame from me.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Unfortunately, I think it's a sign of the times. Parents want children but no longer want to parent them when it becomes difficult...i.e., teenagers. They are so self-absorbed that putting their children ahead of themselves doesn't even cross their minds. They want to be their "friend" instead of their parent.

Then there is the attitude that you encountered...it's not their child's fault. They find more excuses for them than Carter has little liver pills. In a way, they're right...it's not the kids fault...it's the parents fault for raising them that way. Kids will take whatever they can get [​IMG]

Let's face it...hard things are...well, HARD!! No one wants anything to be difficult anymore. I think America is in a sad, sad, situation in a LOT of places.

It's unlikely that you will change anyone's attitude..but perhaps you could get some of the parents interested in planning chaperoned events for the youth of your town. Talk to the principle...find out what his/her attitude is.

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I read the article. It doesn't sound like the town and youth are falling apart. I looked at the school statisics and there are as many kids in grades 9-12 as in 3-6, so the drop out rate can't be that bad.

As for teen drinking and drugs, yes kids how have been convicted shouldn't be allowed to participate in school activities. However, with the pregnancy thing, here in Texas schools have gotten in trouble for the double standard. The pregnant girls are not allowed to participate in activites, but their quarterback boyfriends still play first string. This gets school districts sued, and in my opinion rightly so. So if they have done nothing illegal, it is hard to say "no you can't be on the drill team, you have a kid"; especially since the boy can pretend to be innocent and still participate.

I must admit, the whole name of Tulia makes me cringe. I would find it hard to condemn only the children in your town, when personally, I feel the whole town allowed a gross miscarriage of justice to go virtually unchallenged. I feel that there must be some serious stystemic problems, and that trust has been eroded there. I would guess that large portions of the population feel little reason in supporting anything that represents the town, and would not feel that even the school district has their best interests at heart. JMHO

8. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I agree that only kids who have a certain grade level should be allowed extra curricular activities. Although in my highschool I remember that some teachers gave the cheerleaders and players the grades that they needed to play. No one complained because no one wanted the popular kids mad at them. That was almost twenty years ago. [​IMG]

Unless you are going to kick every child who has sex out of extra curricular activities then I don't agree with punishing the ones who get pregnant. When I was a kid in the eighties there were a LOT of kids who were having sex. Most were more careful with birth control then they seem today. But I doubt that they were more moral. Also, if a girl is raped would she have to announce her private pain to the school so that she could participate in activities or would she have to bow out? That would seem unfair for a victim of a crime who chose to give life to her innocent child.

We used to have to have dogs go through our schools periodically to look for drugs.

So, I don't think that we were drastically better then kids now, shame or no shame.

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    If you really do have nearly fifty girls pregnant in your school district, when there are less than 200 high school and middle school girls combined, then you surely do have a problem. And I would consider it a community problem rather than a school problem. I won't go into my reasons for feeling that way, because I think it would get people too upset and get the thread shut down.

It does sound like your community has issues beyond football. There were only three games left in the season, so the football probably wasn't a great loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by