1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Youtube video of me and my chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Aloha Moa, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Aloha Moa

Aloha Moa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Here's a link to a video I made yesterday of one of my Hawaiian hens and her 6 one-week old chicks. I made it with a regular camera, so the video is poor, but I thought you all might get a kick out of seeing it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  2. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Aloha! That was wonderful! I'm typing from Canada where I hope we just had our last snowfall on Saturday, so to see all that green gives me hope for spring! I may just hop on a plane and come see your chicks in person if you keep showing that kind of stuff( specially the drink!!). I'm so glad to meet you. I love the fact that we all can communicate from such wide ranging areas!!! Amazing!!

3. Aloha Moa

Mar 25, 2007
    LOL - that wasn't a drink - that was chicken scratch I was carrying to lure the chickens so I could get them to get to videotape them!

Love your signature, by the way.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]I thought it was a drink, too! Cute momma! Thanks for sharing.

5. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Darling chickies. Love the junglie feel of your yard. Tell me, Other than cats and dogs what kind of preditors do the wild chickens in Hawaii have to worry about?

6. Aloha Moa

Mar 25, 2007
    I'm going to try again to get a better visual for you guys - it's such poor quality you can't really see the hen or the chicks. You CAN hear them though [​IMG]

In terms of predators, there are wild pigs/boars but our dogs would scare them away. There are owls, of course. My biggest fear is two of our cats who are very interested in this activity.

I have seen another hen step on the neck of a chick by accident but the chick was okay, and I saw the broody hen pecking at the newly hatched chicks, but now that both batches have hatched, all 19 of the flock get along really well and eat together. I'll try to get a video of that. The rooster ignores the chicks completely.

Still searching for the nest...

7. Aloha Moa

Mar 25, 2007
    Here is one of my 4 wild Hawaiian hens and eight 3-day-old chicks! All still present and accounted for - none gone yet. I can't get over how proud she looks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  8. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Wow aloha! She is really beautiful! I can't believe that was scratch you had! LOL! You looked like you were out enjoying the sun, sipping a cocktail! TeeHee. I look forward to any new video you post!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by