YouTube video titled "The Private Life of Chickens"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ATGATT, Nov 27, 2016.

1. ATGATT

ATGATT Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, Mo.
    I was watching this video and was concerned the information was misleading and incorrect at times. Has anyone seen it? Is the information correct? Are British and American chickens different (sarcasm)? One thing which really caught my attention was the show saying chickens use one eye to watch for predators and the other for food. Why would an animal use one eye exclusively for one thing and the other for another? To me, it doesn't make any sense, along with a few other things.
    I'm trying to learn as much as I can, since I'm new to raising chickens. Can anyone recommend any videos?

Thanks everyone!

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I've watched that video a couple of times and thought it was very good.

I can't think of any videos right off the top of my head but the Learning Center has a lot of very informative articles in it that you might find interesting.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Any source of information about raising chickens(or any other topic) is going to have 'mis-information' and/or be conflicting...some of them are downright wrong. Especially a lot of the DIY utube videos where folks just want to play with the camera/editing, troll for 'followers', and be internet stars. SMH.

You'll have to read and research and learn to make your own decisions and draw your own conclusions. This forum has a plethora of info, but it will still take lots of research and analysis.
    There's no fast and easy 'do exactly this' when it comes to keeping live animals.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I too have watched the programme. It was filmed, in part with researchers and the issue of using different eyes for different purposes is something that i came across whilst taking an online course based at a university. I'm not saying its correct, but it seems rather a coincidence, if its not. I would assume the theory is that when a chicken is eating / foraging its head is facing downwards - if it was to focus totally on the ground, it would be defenceless to predators. What i have seen is that when hawks are around, my flock face sideways to the hawk (i.e. one eye is focusing on the threat).

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Prey animals usually have eyes on side of head, to keep watch both ways...predators have eyes on front of head.

Maybe what they mean is while chicken is looking at ground with one eye for food, it can also see any threat coming from above with other eye?

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's how I interpreted it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by