YouTube videos of injured chicken leg: how do we help her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by el viejo, Sep 5, 2009.

1. el viejo

el viejo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    SF Bay Area: East Bay
    Sorry, I neglected to make the videos public. They were set to private, so you could not see them. Please try again.

A couple of days ago, Jewel, maybe 6 months old, flew off the roost when we opened the coop in the morning and landed on a decorative concrete piece we were using to place the water dispenser on. (no longer!) She landed with her right leg in one of the openings and immediately began limping and favoring the leg. Now she can't or won't curl the toes of that leg. We have separated her from the other girls, and have confined her movements in a hutch. We have been attempting to keep it wrapped, but we cannot tell where the injury is. The leg does not feel broken, but we are novices at this. She does not flinch when we feel the leg from the shoulder to the toes.

Here are links to three short videos on YouTube of her leg. I don't understand why she cannot curl her toes. I have been reading a little on BYC and am still confused. How do we diagnose what is actually the problem? We want to nurse her back to health and return her to the flock, but the last chicken with an injured leg did not heal, and the other chickens tormented her relentlessly. If you recognize this injury, and can tell us what to do to help her, please respond. Thanks to all of you for being there.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I can't see the videos, but I would think it is a sprain of some sort. Asprin and only asprin dissolved in water may help with any pain. As far as I can figure, all you can do is wait it out and see if it improves.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    The links you posted do not lead to a video but to a log in page for youtube where you are asked for a password.

4. el viejo

Jun 29, 2009
    Thanks for the input and my apologies for your not being able to see the videos; MY BAD!!! I forgot to set the videos for public viewing. Please have another look. Thanks again.

5. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

What a sweet, beautiful hen! The fact that she does not flinch is good---probably not a fracture if there is no discoloration or deformity of the limb. Could be nerve damage---are you able to take her to a vet? Meanwhile, rest and immobility and see what happens. She is gorgeous, and looks so good-natured, too. Hoping for the best for her.

6. el viejo

Jun 29, 2009
    We have placed her on her back a couple of times to wrap the leg, and last evening she straightened the leg against Candee, sort of reflexively, which I took as a good sign. You make a good point that since she is not flinching when we search the leg for breaks, it's probably a good thing. We are hoping to avoid a trip to the vet. I haven't lived in South Carolina since I was in 6th grade (Myrtle Beach), but here in California, vet visits are not cheap. Thanks for the input, and yes, she is a wonderful chicken. But then I think all of them are.

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    separate her to a small containment area where she is not able to move around very much and in a place where you are sure nothing is going to startle her > limiting her movement will help her heal by ensuring no further strain on that injury.
    chickens legs are really the weakest part of their anatomy and injuries/sprains are quite common. Do not let her roost.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  8. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    In mammals (I'm more of a furry critter expert) this is usually caused by localized swelling and/or nerve damage from the swelling if a break is not seen (or felt) on such a thin leg. You'll also feel heat in the specific area that is swelling. Localized swelling normally will decrease in time and if any pressure on the nerve is not so severe to cut off its pathway permanently will get better. Speeding up the time for the swelling to go down is best--done by ice packs, wrapping the injury for support with an ace bandage and rest as well as a systemic anti-inflammatory. Since this is a chicken I don't know if you can do any of this! Unless you can locate the actual area injured (and its not the toes) wrapping might be OK if you are confident with your technique and check it frequently for proper circulation. Chickens have some hollow bones so I worry about that but I'd give her time to rest if she has no discernible pain. If she doesn't improve then I'd seek an avian veterinarian.

So bottom line:
    Check thoroughly for heat or swelling. Keep separate from flock or better yet keep with docile flock-mate to reduce stress. Rest. Feed and water normally. Check frequently. Call avian vet if no better or worse over the next few days. Good luck! [​IMG]

9. Hartsong

Hartsong New Egg

Jul 13, 2009
    [​IMG]I am sorry to hear about your girl. Is she doing any better? Is she eating and drinking?

10. el viejo

Jun 29, 2009
    She seems about the same. Maybe a little swelling, and some heat coming off the leg. We have splinted it to help support her without too much movement in the joint. I have read here on BYC that a sprain could take several weeks to heal, so I guess we just have to give it time. Thanks for the concern all everyone's advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by