You've sold me... sand is in! Pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mmaddie's mom, Sep 13, 2011.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

2. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

wow..you even put sand in the nesting boxes? interesting...I too put sand in on the weekend because of this site...

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

It'll never look this clean again. [​IMG]

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Looks good. I put wheat straw and pine straw in the nesting boxes. Something about the pine straw they seem to like. It's to pokey for me. I reckon they don't feel it.[​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I am thinking to do the same, except I think they need some nice straw in the nesting boxes.......

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

7. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    I'm debating on using sand in my Playhouse Coop Conversion. My wife gardens though, and I like the idea of being able to placate my wife with compost now and then (Deep Litter).

What type of sand do you use and where can you get it?

8. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:probably got hard butts. [​IMG]

I put pine shavings in their nesting boxes.My hens have soft sensitive butts. [​IMG]

9. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    I've always used sand - you get the right kind it even provides the needed grit - I took a rake and wired some hardware cloth to it and use it to clean the run - it rakes up the poop without any sand - so it's good to go into the garden - in the coop itself I took a large dust pan and drilled holes in it - I sift the sand through the holes to collect the poop - it is a lot better if you keep the sand dry if you can - why you would use anything but sand - I don't know - JoePa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by