Yuck!!!!! Is This Harmful?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauriruth, Jul 2, 2010.

1. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

WELL, TO THE HEN. WAS DEFINITELY HARMFUL TO THE RAT....
    My BIG SLW caught a baby rat last evening. this was followed by keep-away chase...not even yogurt and raisins could lure away from the dead, limp rat, which she ATE!!!!
    DISGUSTING!!!! i've seen them eat lizards, even a small garden snake, but this really grossed me out. so, what i really want to know is: can this hurt the chickens? if there is one baby, there's more. (not to mention rat parents) HELP! [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Will not hurt your chickens - does look gross when watching, but great rodent control. [​IMG]

Adult rats can and often do hurt chickens at night - chickens are roosting and rats will nibble. Might want to start a rodent control program - besides your lovely SLW. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Well, that proves it, chickens are DEFINITELY little Raptors.

4. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    What about ducks? My Muscovy eats mice! Is this bad?

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I think the only way it would be bad if you have someone near you putting out poison out to kill rats and mice, otherwise it's great to see the chickens learning a new trade [​IMG]

6. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    My chickens eat them all the time, but I lost a Naked neck because she ate a mouse that had been poisoned!
    So don't poison them.

7. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    chickens and ducks are omnivores, so yes it is fine and normal for them to eat small rodents. [​IMG]

8. KatieH

KatieH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    Indiana
    I've heard chickens love pinkies (newborn rats/mice), but I used to have pet rats and can't bring myself to give mine any! Though some places sell them dead and frozen. Anyway, chickens are omnivores, so it shouldn't cause issues (unless, like someone else said, the rat had been poisoned).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by