yuck meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AHappychick, Mar 27, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Well I am sooooo glad that I read a bunch of posts about meaties before I got them! So even though they are in their own outdoor shed and all that I must say WOW they are yucky, stinky and funny looking!

I have seen people who have kept them as pets and they do turn out pretty and look more normal, but I cant even imagine keeping these guys over 6 weeks. They are just so different and not in a good way.

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    LOL, they do go through a few phases, from being cute little fuzzies, to the weird "seem to be growing faster than feathers can keep up" stage, to nice looking birds just before processing. The last batch we did looked pretty good at 8 and 9 weeks. I have 30 in our shed/coop right now, only a week and a few days old so they're still pretty cute! We raised the last batch in the middle of winter so they didn't go into their run very often. Now that it's warmed up they'll be "encouraged" to spend more time in their run once they're a little older/bigger.

Good luck with your birds... we were pretty happy with our first batch and plan to keep raising/processing them through to fall.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I only had meat birds coming up- or rather dual purpose meaties... good grief they are the most misrable creatures ever....

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    It will pay off in a few weeks... you will be glad you raised them.

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    If one had the pleasure of cleaning out a bedroom of a rental house when the tenant skips out and leaves 3 cats with a torn bag of cat food in a carpeted bedroom with the door and window closed for two weeks, one would come to the conclusion that cleaning out a pen of a few meat chicks is a breeze. If one had the pleasure of visiting a neighbor with a hog pen when occupied by two 2 hundred pound pigs for a few days, one would come to the conclusion that a pen of a few meat chicks is a breeze. Anyone have the pleasure of visiting a home with a brooder full of 9 ducklings kept inside a house and not cleaned for a week due to weather? One would come to the conclusion that Meat chicks are a breeze. I raise my chicks in my barn and clean it regularly, so I have very little odors. My family and I have a very happy and satisfying feeling every time I envite my Cornish X to dinner.

6. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] good points! even though it's a stinky breeze... [​IMG]

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:I never complained about cleaning up after them, I have no problems with that, they are just weird to me thats all. And their brooder is very clean, they are the ones with the weird smell. I am sure I will enjoy eating them, and will do it again I was just commenting on them thats all.

8. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    could someone maybe post a pic of these creatures...I have NO idea what they look like... [​IMG]
    (no big deal, if you don't have time, or just plain don't want to, I am just curious)

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    sure I will tomorrow they are 3 weeks old so pretty funny looking and they have huge bottoms!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  10. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Quote:Cool, Thanks!! I subscribed to this thread, so I won't miss it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by