YUCK !

Granny Hatchet

Tastes like chicken
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Sep 26, 2013
madison Indiana
hi all, im hatching some chickens and one was turned wrong to hatch so i helped it a little. well its foot was the only thing sticking out and kicking when i went to bed last night and this morn. it had finished the job. the problem is the yolk wasnt ready. it was the size of a pea i guess and i kept it in the incubator so i can keep a closer watch. the yolk has turned a dark red/black color and its foot is weak, the one that was out. can any one advise me on it? i have been giving it some sugar water through this day but i havent seen much diff.

Some chicks don't hatch for a reason, this chick could have just been deformed naturally where it wouldn't have hatched. If it lives that's great but those chicks are usually sickly.

I have had to help chicks before. and i take two strings and tie one to the blood veins connecting the shell and one connected to the yoke not so tight that it severs them and wait awhile and then i will cut in-between two strings that stops any bleeding sometime the yolk is not always absorbed in but it does go in i keep it moist and the chick warm and the string goes into thier bodies i just trim it and the sting does come on its own as they get older. if you have iodine dip the sting in that before putting it on the veins . if the chick has enough of the yolk and that blackened part you described should not really matter. I always look at it like this those chicks that have troubles are like premature babies they just need a little more time then the other babies it takes them longer to develop after hatching but given time and some tender loving care if yours has not died it should do just fine. don't worry about the leg now unless it is already up and moving around

its not up and moving yet and it did finish the hatch itself including the cord, but i have never seen yolk redish black like that. i put aloe on itbecause it does look dried up and it is drinking .like u say it may just need time now. thank u for ur reply

Back
Top Bottom