Yucky 'beetle' odor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by allmypeeps, Jul 16, 2010.

1. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    I just brought home two 3-4 mo. old cochins and silkie and on the car ride home noticed that one of the cochins has a distinct odor- it smelled much like a beetle (if any of you have stepped on one or played with one as a child you know the strong bitter smell I mean!!!)

Didnt think much of it at first- figured it was something she got into or something....but we DID end up naming her BEETLE becuz of this- lol !! [​IMG]

The smell went away, but then I'd notice every so often she would smell again...but then it'd go away- then again smell. We've only had them for 5 days now....I notice once in a great while she has clear liquid come from her nostril like when she shakes her head or sneezes...but it does not seem like anything out of the norm for any chicken (she does NOT sneeze to the point where I am concerned of sickness- just natural "oops got grain or dust up the nose sneezes"...) ANYWAY...I linked the smell to her beak when this happens...she shook her head and a tiny bit of 'wettness' landed on my wrist and I immediately realized my wrist had the odor...next time I noticed a bit of wetness I took a Q-tip and swabbed it and sure enough the q-tip smelled like beetles!!!!

what could this beetle odor be???

She eats, drinks, interacts completely normal- just occasionally stinks like a squished beetle!

??? [​IMG] ???

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Do you already have chickens? Are you following proper quarantine procedures? If you are not, separate the new ones from the old ones IMMEDIATELY. I can't recall off the top of my head the name of the disease, but there is something that is very bad and it causes them to SMELL. I don't have time to look for the name right now, but QUARANTINE IMMEDIATELY!!!

How long have you had them?

3. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    I have only had them 5 days.

I have NO other chickens other than these 3.
    It is only 1 that has the odor, and only off and on.

OMGosh!! I sure hope it's nothing serious!!!!! [​IMG] I notified the person I got them from....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I can't remember the name of the disease, my brain isn't working well these days... [​IMG] But one of the regulars around here should know what I'm referring to - it's a respiratory thing, that's why I made that connection when you said she shook her head and it was the mucous that smelled bad.

Search around for "respiratory" disease and "odor" here on the forums, or maybe post a new post with a question about the respiratory disease that is IDENTIFIABLE by a bad odor. Sorry - I gotta go or I would hunt more for you! Good luck!

5. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Are you talking about Coryza? That is contagious and has a smell. To me, it's more like a snotty smell.

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Bad odor is Coryza. Once you smell it once you will always know it.... I would equate it to more of a rotting smell than a beetle smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by