yucky boiled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pattgal, Nov 5, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    My egg whites are sticking to the shell too much. It probably has a name but I can't think of it right now
    I'm loosing most of my whites to the shell
    how do I fix it. thanks in advance

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Let the eggs sit in the fridge for the better part of a month then they will boil up like store bought. I don't know if there is a name for it but I would call it fresh.
    Seriously.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I've tried most of the suggestions out there (letting the eggs age works best):

*start with cold water before bringing the eggs to a boil and then cool them quickly with ice water

* use a pin to poke a small hole in the large end of the egg before cooking

I'll try to remember more.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Go to the index at the top of the page, click on the first category, FAQ, then scroll down to the threads about peeling hard boiled eggs. There are about a hundred ways to do it. I usually go with ice water after boiling and peeling under a thin stream of water.

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I fill a pot of water, let it come to a rolling boil and then gently put in a dozen eggs. I allow them to boil for 14 minutes (yes you read that right) and then when done I run them under cold water until they are cool, and then allow them to sit in a pot of cold water for 1o minutes. they peel great. I got this idea from another member here on BYC that posted her trick to perfect fresh boiled eggs. this method works for me every time.

6. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    The secret is not to cook them too long, and drop them in ice & water in a pan. Shake the eggs around to crack them (let them sit in it a few minutes so the cold water can seep under the shells). I'm not sure of the cooking time, but you can search for that on the web. Don't boil them to death. That creates the green coating on the yolks.
    (eta)
    But the poster who said use old eggs is also correct. They don't stick as badly if they are older. But the correct cooking time, plus ice/ water bath will definately improve the 'shellability' of fresh eggs.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Well that certainly explains it. (no air between the shell and egg)
    I usually put them on ice after boiling because we have young kids who know no patience yet but sometimes I cook in advance and don't need to,
    so that explains why sometimes are better than others
    I'll be sure to try poking a hole in the end and try salt water too. Ive been selling my eggs so i'll pass it on too
    thanks guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by