1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yucky Chicken Butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by howipinchapenny, Dec 31, 2010.

1. howipinchapenny

howipinchapenny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    [​IMG]

Went out to the coop today and Ms. poopy butt is getting worse.

Vent is clear...no clog. But it is like the poop runns down her but and 'eats' the feathers away. The skin is bright red with a few feather trying to poke out. She is still laying eggs.

She has had 'poopy butt' since fall but still acts normal and lays egss. But now this looks like it hurts. Any suggestions?

I don't see any signs of mites...

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    what does she eat??
    maybe her poo is too acidic
    maybe more fibre ??
    i have not seen that before
    i have had silkies with messy bums that i have to clean for a couple days but it ususally goes away on its own
    if this is an ongoing thing though maybe she is missing something in her diet
    i have given childrens " polyvasol" vitamins to my chickens and they seem to do great. i have a silkie roo that has ryeneck and when he starts his " neck spaz" i give him a dropper of it and it is gone by the next day.
    keep us posted

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you cleanse her rear end with warm water and inspect her vent area for lice/mites. Use scissors to trim back the fluff and feathers so the feces wont goop up her feathers. Her digestive system might be a little distressed. Try giving her some scrambled egg, yogurt mixed in her feed for a few days and see if this will help get her digestive system back in line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by