Yukky butts and coughing (help!)

MindiWynne

Songster
5 Years
Jun 26, 2017
Brookville, Ohio
I had a hen that was gurgling and sounded like she had pneumonia. she was breathing through and open beak, so I gave her some clavamox that I had and she seems much better. I had isolated her, but now it seems that I have some other sick, coughing hens. One had thick, white, sticky stuff around her vent (but it didn’t seem like vent gleet) and I noticed that the eggs that I got today seemed to have a weird, goopy coating for them. I’m new-ish to chickens and have no idea if we have a chicken vet anywhere nearby and I have no idea what to do. Can I put something in their water to make all of them healthy again?

Last edited:
I couldn’t find a vet today because, of course, it’s Saturday and everything bad happens on the weekends...now I have a hen with a prolapsed vent. It’s still very pink and nothing necrotic, and it wasn’t there yesterday, so I am going to soak her in Epsom salts this evening when I can go buy some (I have none in the house and our roads are closed from an ice storm. The god of chickens must hate me). These guys are like pets and I’m totally freaked out right now! If anyone can offer home remedy advice I’d appreciate it!,

Back
Top Bottom