Yummy Canned Cake

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Nuggetsowner:), Jul 28, 2008.

1. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I posted this on SS too but thought some of you that don't visit over there might like to try it. It is very good. I thought it would be great for lunchboxes or taking camping etc. My DH found the recipe in a Camp Cookbook. When they are done they are about the size of an individual cake or cup cake.

14 Step Canned Cake

1. Clean and ready your wide mouth half pint canning jars, lids, and rings.
    2. Mix up any cake mix as per the instructions on the box.
    3. Mix in something like M&M's or Mini Chocolate Chips to give the cake a little something extra.
    4. Mix up a good icing- something gooey and sticky that will seep down the cake.
    5. Fill jars about 1/3 to 1/2 full with the cake batter, it will rise as it bakes.
    6. Place jars on a cookie sheet and bake 350 for 20-25 minutes.
    7. Test cake with toothpick.
    8. Remove from oven poke with a skewer or chop stick and frost immediately. Icing will seep into hole in cake.
    9. If your cake has rose above the lip of the jar, just take a knife and trim the top leaving room for icing.
    10. Carefully wipe the jar rims to be sure they are clean, be careful, they are very hot.
    11. Place a lid and ring on each jar, tighten. Once again - be careful they are still very hot!
    12. Allow jars to cool. You will hear them seal.
    13. If any do not seal, set aside and have them after dinner tonight!
    14. Make a cup of coffee or tea, sit in a comfy chair, and sample the cake!

I could post a pic if anyone wants to see them.

2. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

How long do they keep for? Neat idea.........

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sounds good... I'd like to see a pic.

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Sorry I was offline for a while. Had to do some stuff around the house. I will post a pic as soon as I find my camera cord. It was around here....

I am not sure how long they will keep. My DH made them last night. This is the first time we have tried the recipe. I plan on opening one in a week and then one a week after to see if the cake remains moist. He got about 12 jars out af a cake mix plus a little left over he mad in a small loaf pan. Next time I think I will add more cake mix to each - he just wasn't sure how much they would raise and only filled them about 1/3 full. I think he could have put a little more in them as you will see in the pics in a little bit. All of them sealed but we opened a couple for a treat last night. They were very good and very moist!! I will open one a week like I said and keep you posted.

5. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    YUM!!!
    Ill try with my vegetarian chocolate cake(im a vege but drink milk, go figure)

6. peapatch

peapatch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    I made canned applesauce cake and kept it for a year and it was still good. The best jars to use were the 24 oz. canning jars by ball but they don't make them anymore.
    [​IMG]

7. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Wow great idea my hubbie takes his lunch to work. I have spent the spring and summer collecting canning jars because of my planned huge harvest as usual things did not go exactly as planned so I have lots of jars. And we have 3 cases of German Chocolate frosting that was part of a dmaged shipment when my husband was a truck mechanic so.............. and tomorrow is baking day.

8. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I have sent more canned cakes to Iraq and Afghanistan than I can count. They have been a HUGE hit for my adopted deployed heroes. Especially when you incude a jar of frosting!

9. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Sounds yummy! I am very curious to know how long they stay good. I have lots of jars, I am going to try it!

10. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Sorry once again I was interupted and am now just getting back. By the way we put them in 1/2 pint large mouth jars. Here are the pics I promised...

One from the side notice how the icing just melts into and around the cake!

[​IMG]

And one from the bottom so you can see all the yummy chocolate chips in there!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by