1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yummy lemon scones like Starbucks??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MtnAly, Jul 1, 2008.

1. MtnAly

MtnAly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    A local bakery in town makes WONDERFUL lemon scones. They are sooooooo tasty but pricey, so I only treat myself to one once in a while. Starbucks also makes a yummy lemon scone that *almost* comes close to the local bakery's. Does anyone have a fab recipe they'd like to share?? Pretty pleeeease??

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    LEMON SCONES

Printed from COOKS.COM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 c. flour, sifted three times with 2 tbsp. baking powder
    1/4 c. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3 tbsp. grated lemon peel
    1/2 c. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    2 eggs, room temperature, beaten to blend
    2/3 c. milk or buttermilk
    Whipping cream

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease and flour baking sheets. Sift flour, sugar and salt into deep bowl. Stir in peel. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Blend in eggs and just enough milk or buttermilk to form soft but not sticky dough.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Gently roll or pat dough to about 1/2 inch thickness, lightly flouring as necessary to prevent sticking. Cut out rounds using 2 inch floured biscuit cutter. Set 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Brush with cream. Bake until scones are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately with sweet butter, jam or marmalade. Makes 16 to 20.

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    These scones are very good, they are vanilla but I don’t see why you couldn’t put lemon extract instead of vanilla, a little lemon zest or both depending on how lemony you want it.

Starbucks Vanilla Scones
    Posted on Copykats March 15, 2007 by May M.

***Note: posted by May M - I love Starbucks's vanilla scones, so much so that I set out to create my own copycat version. After many trials, I think I got it! Like the Starbucks version, these scones are sweet, buttery and vanilla-y, and have a light and tender texture. Full-fat sour cream is the key ingredient, so please do not substitute. To duplicate the Starbucks's version, I topped it with a simple powdered sugar glaze.

Dry Ingredients
    2 cups all-purpose flour (2 cups weigh 9 oz)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2-teaspoon baking soda
    1/2-teaspoon salt
    1/2-cup sugar
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces (5 TBL weigh 70 g)

Wet Ingredients
    1-cup regular full-fat sour cream
    1 large egg yolk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Glaze
    1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    Water, as needed

* Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.
    * Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
    * Using any method you prefer, cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until flour resembles coarse meal.
    * In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg yolk and vanilla extract until blended. Add to the flour-butter mixture and stir with a fork until dough forms a cohesive ball. Use a spatula to get the dry bits fully incorporated. (It may not seem to have enough liquid at first, but the dough will eventually come together.).
    * Place the sticky dough onto a parchment-lined (or un-greased) baking sheet and pat into a disk about 1-inch in height. Cut the dough into wedges but do not separate.
    * Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
    * PREPARE GLAZE WHILE SCONES ARE BAKING.
    * GLAZE:
    * Place powdered sugar in a medium bowl, and add water one teaspoon at a time, mixing vigorously until smooth and runny.
    * Use a pastry brush to apply a thin layer of glaze over the hot scones. Brushing rather than drizzling gives a smoother appearance and requires less glaze.
    *Serve immediately. Store cooled scones in an airtight container.

[​IMG]

4. MtnAly

MtnAly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Thanks guys! I'll have to experiment and see which one comes the closest. The ones from the bakery (and I think Starbucks too) use candied lemon peel and so maybe I'll try some of that.
    [​IMG]

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I just made these vanilla scones!!They are in the oven right now they smell so good the dough was so yummy. I am just wating for the timer..

Ok they are done and I have eaten one yummy!! I will try the lemon next time. Thanks for the awsome recipe. These would be goods as strawberry shortcake cakes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I make frosting for my lemon scones with lemon juice and powdered sugar. Yummy! [​IMG]

7. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to say....I made the Starbucks vanilla scones last nite, except I turned them into lemon scones (omitted the vanilla and added about 2 tbls. of grated rind and about 1 tbls. of juice) and made the icing with lemon juice and powdered sugar, and my family loved them...very moist and delicious! [​IMG] I had to make another one because the first one got devoured so quickly. Thank goodness grandpa sent all those lemons my way...thanks gramps! This recipe is definitely a keeper! [​IMG]

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i will have to try these, I love lemon and I love scones. The grocery store here makes blueberry scones that are so good but homemade should definitely be better!

9. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Try adding candied ginger to the lemon scones. It is fabulous!

10. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:This looks like a good, authentic recipe for scones--where does the whipping cream come in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by