Yummy mistakes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I made some frozen okra for the first time today. When I first made it, it was sooo gooey! I didn't realize that this happens when you cook okra because I have never made it before. I added some cajun seasoning and some Adobo, but it was just too slimey. The internet said to add vinegar to get rid of the slime. Of course I forgot my vinegar at home (I'm at an internship) so I dumped in a bit of olive oil and vinegar dressing. I figured I'd be throwing the stuff out anyway if I couldn't fix the goo. I put the concoction back on the stove and promptly forgot about it for a few minutes. When I remembers about it again, the okra had turned a darker green and I cautiously tasted it....Delicious! It was still nice and crispy and hardly any goo. I am pretty amazed right now!

So what are some unusual cooking mistakes you have made that actually turned out delicious? I've done a ton of crazy things and they usually turn out pretty good!

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Pretty cool...I love Stewed Okra with Tomatoes. I guess the acid in the tomatoes cuts the slime in the okra because I've never had a problem with it.

I just throw everything in the pot and let it simmer until it's all tender.

3. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    What the heck is frozen okra? Really, post your recipe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by