Yummy mommy, treats!

First you will need to give them grit, probably a pan with some dirt or sand from the yard would do. Then pretty much whatever they will eat. No raw potatoes or skins, though, as they are toxic. It's fun to give grapes or cherry tomatoes (I usually cut in half or quarters), small pieces of bread (they especially love cornbread), or even oatmeal or yogurt. It's so much fun to watch one grab something and run all over the place so noone takes it.

If you have an inconspicuous(sp?) spot, dig a shovelful or two of grass/clover/dirt in a clump for them to rip up. They'll get their grit at the same time.

My girls love apples (and the peels), strawberries (i even just throw in the tops after we've been eating them in the house), corn on the cob/corn in general, I think brussel sprouts (but i cut them up into quarters and cooked)...my girls don't like uncooked food...oh and they LOVE eggs. And for the grit...i usually try to rub their treats in dirt first and than sprinkle it around their run...
and WORMS! the first time they found a worm, one girl ran around for 10 min b/c she didnt know what to do with it. so funny.
have fun!

Treats:
broccoli
niger seed (thistle seed)
grapes
tomatos
mealworms (if you want to start a mobscene)
bananas
haven't tried yogurt yet, but I hear they love it.
lettuce, sometimes

My co-worker and I have 6-week old chicks, and we were talking yesterday about dog owners and how sometimes the dog and owner resemble each other. So then we thought, gee, what does that say about US? We said, oh, we're not at all like chickens, then we realized that when one of us has a yummy snack, the other always tries to horn in on it. We don't exactly get into a rawkus game of keepaway in the office, but it comes close sometimes.

mine are 11 days, and we gave them the first treats yesterday! watermelon, we couldn't get anyone to eat it, so i picked one up, and kind of rubbed it on his beak, he slurped it all up and then attacked me when i wouldn't give him more, he was the only one who would eat it for like 1/2 hour, then somothers started pecking at the rind and then they all pretty much figured it out lol-- can they have peaches???

are boiled potatoes ok? Mine loved them but someone said in a post here that they are toxic??????? is it only if raw?Tell me more?I'm glad for all the great sugestions here.

Back
Top Bottom