Yup, we're broke, struggling along- But Life Is Still OK!

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
SC
We are behind on the bills, struggling to pay them. No propane until we can pay the bill, so toaster oven and crockpot are getting a lot of use.
The house payment was late this month, first time ever.
Have already cut extras as much as possible without losing internet service- I must have it since what little I make is from online sales.
We both have health issues, and health insurance has a $2000.00 deductible. So we just deal with it. Aspirin and ibuprofen. Other stuff will have to wait.
Not buying much food, working with dried beans and rice when we do. Getting creative, and using what we had in the freezer.
I got laid off a good while back, so income is cut by half. State unemployment rate rose to 12.1% yesterday. Utility rates keep going up.

So-

I could come to BYC and start a poor, poor pitiful me thread.

Or-

I come come in here and say hey, it's not as easy as it used to be, but we're getting by just fine! Our parents and grandparents made do, and now we are learning to do the same.
The chickens free range more, cuts down the feed bill. Might lose a few- but that's always a risk with free ranging.
The dogs and cats don't get treats like they used to- and not one has died of it!
I am selling various items that we don't need or want. Keep an eye out for BYC auctions coming soon! Also etsy and ebay. My clutter could be your treasure!
We're both doing a lot better about combining errands to save fuel, keeping the thermostat lower, taking on side jobs when possible.
Cooking is interesting- no more chips, cookies or extras. Less meat, more vegetables, beans, rice and potatoes. Lots of veggies and fruit! And quiche, since we have eggs!
We are learming to live frugally and finding out that it's just fine. We don't need a lot of the stuff we had, as evidenced by the fact that we don't miss it!

Several things have made cutting back easier:

Still having good, nutritious meals, just paying closer attention to cost. If there's any extra money, I stock up. And eating those leftovers!
Cutting back on cable and phone services. Bare bones now.
DH and I have always worked as a team- neither of us is a whiner. If we have any problem, we sit down and discuss it without any animosity or blame- 99.9% of the time we find out we can easily compromise. The .1% means somebody has to just get over it! The key is to keep the emotions out of the discussion, as much as possible.
We discuss ALL financial issues- I take care of the mechanics, but we always plan the spending ahead of time, together. Even the groceries.
Family is now a non-issue- we have a cordial relationship with all but one - because we made it clear from the start that personal comments and criticisms are not their "job". Very nicely put, butt out.
We would sooner starve than take money from anyone in either family.

Not always easy, but we see it a challenge that we face together. It has made our marriage stronger and given each of us some bolstering in the self confidence department. We are discovering that we are lot tougher than we ever thought, and that a lot of "necessities" are actually luxuries that can easily be lived without.

(And a tip for the women who have somewhat uncooperative partners- I just go out and tackle whatever needs doing- and soon DH comes out to "see what I'm doing" - next thing he knows, he's been working with me for 5-6 hours!
wink.png
)

We are in the same boat. This is the first year since we have been married that we are in the shape we are in finalcially. We've cut back a lot too and take on any extra jobs that pay cash!!! Just think, when it does get better, we won't even care!!! I've learned there are LOTS of things we can live without. Now, I've got to get off the computer and get back in my treestand LOL.

I am sorry to hear of my struggling fellow byc'ers! I am lucky that even though we are a little behind in our rent , electric and water bills ..we are ok! I feel confident that we will make it through the hard winter ahead! And spring is just around the corner and endless new possibilities lie ahead for us to better ourselves! Learning to be more frugal and learning to live off our land is helping! I just pray for good health and strong backs! Best wishes to all who are struggling!

You're timing is excellent!!!
wink.png

DH just lost his job yesterday and we are still in the terror and denial phase I think.
hmm.png

We're alot like you in attitude so thank you for reminding me!
hugs.gif
I appreciate it.

thumbsup.gif
Great attitude and terrific spirit! My DH and I are blessed to not have been hard by the economic situation yet. But we live frugally (drive old vehicles, no cable, etc.), so hopefully we will be prepared if/when we do encounter tougher times!

Thanks so much for posting. I'm in the same boat as you and it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Suzy
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom