1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yuppie backyard chicken site

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 54Belair, Jan 31, 2007.

1. 54Belair

54Belair Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
  2. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    I tend to agree with you on that one. However, the eglu has made chickens much more popular over here, and that can only be good for the poultry world. Most chicken keepers are aging rapidly, and if this brings new, young blood to the scene then that has to have a positive impact.

I would bet that a lot of them get hooked on chickens and then get a 'proper' coop with 'proper' hens.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Maybe BYC should branch out and create their own "chicken startup kit". That would be cool!

Maybe we can make it as easy as sea monkeys... just add water! hahahaha [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

This was my favorite part on the site...

New Low Price - $495

They've got to be joking!!

The best part about chickens is they are cheap and easy to keep and provide eggs and endless entertainment. $495?? That's A LOT of hatching eggs! [​IMG]

5. eldiablo

eldiablo Out Of The Brooder

I saw that site and actually entertained the idea of the eglu. But I don't like the colors they come in. I got permission from the mrs. to build whatever I want after the wedding ceremony so I went for that idea instead.[​IMG]

6. CharlestonChick

CharlestonChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Teeheehee! That is one of the first sites I found when I started researching chickens - I was also shocked by the somewhat mainstream and (to use your words!) antiseptic and sterile coops. IMO, there's no fun in buying an (overpriced!) egg-shaped plastic contraption. Half the fun is going to be building the coop. I am in the process of designing it right now. [​IMG]

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Quote:AMEN!

It's even more fun to build it out of scrap for free!

BTW CharlestonChick, take pictures of the coop as you build it an I'll add it to the main site (that goes for everyone!)

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My husband and I had some great "bonding" time while building the coop. I learned how to use power tools! [​IMG] I made all their ladders, perches and windows and I also painted and decorated their house.
    We bought the fencing but everything else was scrap around the property. Chickens don't care! Just slap a coat of paint on there and vola!

9. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    I made all my coops out of scraps, cages, old dog house, plastic kids playhouse, found on CL Now i am working on a packing storage crate conversion. I think it is fun to see what you can come up with. Start to build it and the flock has to check it out.They are quite the inspectors. Build it and they will come.[​IMG]:bun

When I checked the price of some of the coops:eek: My pocket book flipped over $$$$$ .[​IMG]I knew there was a better way. BYC starter kits

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  10. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Hey come on guys. Back off a little. I'm sure there are many folks who live in areas where a home-brew coop would not be allowed. Aren't they allowed to enjoy their interests like everyone else without being criticized? We talk about the outrageous cost of the egloo but I'll bet some here have a bass boat in the driveway that costs a lot more than $500 and nobody catches any fish ;-) or maybe it's just sitting there taking up space in the garage. Did you ever notice that when you raise your hand to point at someone else there are three fingers on that same hand pointing at you? Can you imagine the pleasure a 6 year old could get by having two chickens and an egloo in their tiny back yard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by