1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yuppies upset with Dogs being shot

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LittleChickenRacingTeam, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    This happened nearby, & it seems the spin on it, is that the dogs wouldn't hurt a fly. The family wants the farmer identified, even though he was within his legal rights. The family even admits that the dogs escaped before. I don't think these people have a clue on the damage roaming dogs can do to livestock. (Click on the video link in the CTV story.)

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...farmer_shoots_dogs_071020/20071020?hub=Canada

I had to comment when the story also appeared in the National Post.

http://communities.canada.com/natio...n-t-blame-farmer-for-shooting-stray-dogs.aspx

What do you all think??

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I totally agree!!

I should LEGALLY be able to protect my animals in my yard.
    The Jenkins family should be put on the other end of the situation:
    If a loose dog was on their property chasing their pets (chickens, dogs, cats, etc.), would they do whatever it takes to protect them?

3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I agree too. Poor farmer...darned if he protects his livestock and darned if he doesn't.

4. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Good comment left LittleChicken.. I really dont understand what ppl expect others to do when they wont keep their dogs under control.. I have 2 dogs and I wouldnt expect any less if mine ran wild all over the area.. Ppl have got to learn to keep their pets HOME!!

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If my dogs were lost, I would be devastated till I found them, I would do everything I could to find them. They were gone 2 days? Do they normally run loose or are they inside a fence or on a leash.
    I don't think I would have shot those two dogs if they were not vicious, I would have warned the owners first. But the farmer was well within his rights, and his identity should not be exposed. Sad thing.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe calling the dog officer first before shooting the dogs would have been a more sensible choice, but unfortunately that didn't happen. I feel bad for the farmer and equally so for the family of the dogs...

7. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Devils advocate what if the dogs were harrassing the stock. Would you call the dog warden and wait fot them if a dog was going after your chikens or would you go stop it? You don't always ask if you have suffered losses and there are strays in your pasture/yard.
    Did you know that if you hit a dog and it damages your car the owner of the dog is responsible for all damages?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If Buddy has Obelisk in his mouth again, the second thing I would do would be to call ACO. The first thing will be saving my pet even if it was with a lead vitamin, a rock or a shovel.
    And I would also be within my rights!
    If the kids couldn't control the dogs, then they should have been walked with or by the parents.
    Even the most innocuous carpet shark can become a hungry wolf in a pack...
    Good comment, LCRT.
    Some of us have $ 5 chickens or freebies, but show stock is worth tons more let alone a farmer's livestock: cattle and sheep can be thousands of dollars.

9. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Well I could not resist posting a reply as well, sorry, I love dogs lots but the owners here are totally wrong and ignorant. I hope others learn from this. I'm not saying I would handle this the same way, but I hope the scare that I would will wake up a few stupid dog owners.

10. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Dogs seem to be to worst predator for chickens. Twice, my neighbors' good for nothing dogs have attacked my chickens. The last time it happened, I walked to their house and told them in no uncertain terms that one more time will seal the dogs' fate. They will be shot. It did no good. These neighbors let their dogs run loose because it is "cruel" to keep them shut up. They think it is cute that the dogs kill rabbits, birds, and anything else they can catch. Its only a matter of time.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by