Zane, Son of Hawkeye, 11 Weeks Old (PICS)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by speckledhen, Feb 20, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is the chick formerly known as Zoe. As you can see, if you know Gabriel, his big brother, he still doesn't have the size comb that Gabe had much earlier, but today, Zane crowed for the first time that I know of, and it was pretty good, actually. He'll be 12 weeks old Sunday and is the friendliest boy I've ever had, and I've had some real lap roosters out of Hawkeye and Lexie and also from Kate's stock. His barring isn't as fine as Gabriel's, pretty messy in fact, but it isn't as "chevron" on the sickle feathers and he's just now really getting the hackles and saddles showing enough to say, "hey, that's a boy!", LOL. My girls' better barring, I hope, will offset his in the chicks. His body type seems broader than Gabriel's and more like his sire's, one reason I decided to keep Zane over Gabe, who unfortunately takes after Lexie more than Hawkeye in the body type. I prefer the broader body so that's what I want to breed for. Zane will be the #2 in command of my utility Barred Rock crew, barring unforseen circumtances.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    He is saying "look how handsome I am"!

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    he looks good speckeled, nice pics

4. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow he is going to be a handsome fellow as well!

Oh, you avatar change confused me [​IMG] I thought someone had a user name close to yours LOL

[​IMG]

5. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    That's a nice looking roo speckledhen.

6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    That boy is struttin his stuff. [​IMG]

7. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  8. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    Cyn, by breeding later maturing chickens like Zane, wont that be passed on to his offspring? Will his daughters consequently start laying later? does it matter with chickens? with cattle we select for early maturity however too fast is as bad or worse as too late, b/c they can get stunted or have delivery problems if they calve too young/small. Just curious if later maturity would be something to select against in chickens, or maybe he is just average and the brother was just faster maturing?

9. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I think he's saying, "I'm #2... for now"

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks, all. Beefy, I don't know the answer to your question. Naturally, there are two parents in every chick and all the hens except for Zane's own mother, Lexie, have matured earlier than Lexie and have much nicer barring than he does (well, Ivy's isn't, but she is not related to Zane at all nor is she related to the other girls). I had a sort of "lesser of the evils" decision to make. On temperament and body type, Zane won, hands down. Gabriel is very hyper/skittish, a complete aberration from my other Barred Rocks, although not aggressive at all that I've seen. He's also very slender bodied, like his mother. Lexie is quite small for a standard Barred Rock-here's a picture of Lexie today after growing her feathers back. You can tell she's a small hen. The other hens are very large bodied like Hawkeye-most of them came from Kate's (helmstead) flock rooster and his ladies.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by