Ze coop, she is done! Tell me what you think. pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by peepkeeper, Sep 23, 2007.

1. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    My coop is 8x12, the run is 10x20. I used the beams from the upstairs deck as frames for the walls. The windows I found in the old shed. My house is an old farmhouse, and the back of the house is an old woodroom leading to the outside. I built the coop onto the woodroom, so it is attached to the house and I can go straight from the kitchen to the woodroom to the coop. I don't have to go outside in Adirondack weather to tend the chickens! And I can store feed and shavings and things right in the woodroom. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Looks great. It's nice to have the coop part of the house. No need
    to go outside on those wintery NY days.

I think it was so nice of you to get the chickies their own washing machine
    and dog too. Wow, you must love them a lot. [​IMG]

3. peepkeeper

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Ha that's the view from the coop to the kitchen with all the stuff in the woodroom. Thanks!

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Very nice! I have used the same type of fencing and It is so nice and easy for me. 10 x 20 is a great size for your birds as well. I have not lost the grass in most of my pens yet. I had to cut the size of one pen this year and with the dought It has gotten bare. I suspect with adequate water this fall and spring it will come back. It really nice to have the grass.

5. betejean

betejean New Egg

Sep 12, 2007
    Idaho
    Great pen. I wish my babies were closer especially in yucky weather![​IMG]

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    That was a good idea, what a nice set-up. I will be thinking of you this winter as I am trudging to the barn and coops in blizzard conditions.

7. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    My idea of heaven is to NOT go outside to tend animals in the snow:D I would love an old fashioned house with the barn (and coop, of course) attached to the house.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think it was a brilliant idea! Try not to rub it in too much this winter. [​IMG]

9. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    What a great idea! And so convenient. Ya definately done good. You said you have really bad winters in the mountains of NY so I would suggest sealing the windows better so you don't have a stiff chilling breeze wafting through your coop when the big chill comes. [​IMG]

10. peepkeeper

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Thanks all. Thanks BeckyLa, I thought of that too. I'm not sure how to insulate the windows without making them impossible to open, though. I could stuff the cracks with that fiberglass stuff for the winter but I'm afraid of the chickens eating it. Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by