Votes: 5 83.3%
  • More time

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Simlah82

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2017
Amity, Oregon
so I've seen this thread a few times, and I thought I'd add to it. Being new here and all.

I have a rooster. His name is Zeg (my daughter LOVED Blaze and the Monster machines, at the time we realized that Esmeralda was a HE). Zeg is now around 1 year and a few months. And now as previously stated, he's acting like a jerk. How is he acting like a jerk? Well, recently I've noticed how aggressive he is with the ladies, and I understand that chickens being animals aren't into a dinner and a few dates first type of thing, but still...... he's chasing them, cornering them, flying up and then swooping down when they let their guard down sorta stuff. I've also now realized this is why (Charlotte) our Australop girl seems to be missing feather all over the back of hear head, and by the base of her tail. I honestly just thought this was due to the whole, "pecking order" thing, but at the same time it did always strike me odd as how if she was at the BOTTOM of the pecking order, why she was always the first to get treats, and to the food or water. Hmm.... Anyhow

I understand there are a few things that could've triggered this, but seeing as I still feel pretty new to the chicken game. I wanted advice.

First off is the chickens (two Australop hens and 1 easter egger plus the easter egger/ameracuana rooster) were originally in a smaller sized tractor with not a lot of extra room. We kept them here until we could get a larger coop with the run attached built and fenced. We have a lot of coyotes, at least one if not more bobcat in the area and it seems like a flock of red hawks in the area so I was too nervous to just let them roam. Their new coop is a lot larger, with a lot more places to perch and four nesting boxes versus the three they originally had. The run attached is close to 30 ft and about 12 feet wide.

Second part to this is....we recently introduced three new hens to the flock. Our new hens are a leghorn, red island, and a black sex link. The hens are all good sized, about 5 1/2 months old, and two of three are laying as far as I could tell.

However, with the new hens...his behavior was already like this prior to them showing up. The only thing is it has seemed to intensify, and he's really, "in" to our red island now, along with his, "favorite" Australop, Charlotte.

Now the million dollar question........ keep him or stew him? Since, he's gained his new territory he has become pretty aggressive towards my husband. He's mostly fine with me...postured once and I just stepped towards him and he changed his mind. He really seems to have it in for the hubby though, and if I allowed it tonight, (it's dark 10:40) my husband would be out getting him ready for a 4th of July cookout.

I've been reading a lot of these threads about roosters, and I feel the consensus is to get rid of them if they behave in this manner. However, I've also seen some threads (might be another chicken forum) that suggests this is "normal" rooster behavior. With that being said, those threads suggest that it is all hormones and eventually roosters will, "calm" down. So what say you? BBQ or give him some more time?

I have separated him as well. Lots and lots of crowing and pacing. He LOOOOVESSS to crow too, I'd feel bad for the neighbors but they have a flock of peacocks.

Any advice...thanks in advance!!!

I'd stew him.
At that age and increasingly aggressive behavior,
he's not worth the trouble to feed him.

It's common for cockbirds to act this way.....
....but certainly not a 'normal' I and others would put up with.

The fact that you can cow him, speaks to part of the problem maybe being your husbands behavior....the keepers behaviors are 8/10's of handling male livestock, IMO.
But still....if he's rough with the hens, he'll be delicious after some time in the crock pot or pressure cooker.

And don't hatch out any of his progeny, aggression can be hereditary.
If you need a cockbird in your flock, there are others ways to get one.
I have one right now that will be retired,
he's a great bird and I am hoping someone needs him.
Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

:welcome

I have to agree with aart.

No need to keep an ornery rooster when so many nice ones need homes.

It can take trying many before you find a keeper.

You don't need a rooster to have happy hens and wonderful eggs. You only require as rooster to fertilize eggs. That is pointless unless you intend to breed the bird. I recommend only breeding nice birds.

Best wishes.

Well, as my husband says he really was a "whoops" rooster as we just wanted hens. I originally talked him into keeping him, since the run is open and we do have some predators but I know we can cover the run if needed, and I don't like seeing those girls beat up on. I'll have to get on Pinterest and find some good chicken recipes. Poor thing...but it doesn't pay to be a jerk. Thank you both!!

Totally agree with the consensus here...eat him.

I waited and went through a lot of male chicks before I settled on my Barney (Barnevelder rooster).

His behavior was clear from the first that he would be a gentleman. He remained a gentleman in his teens. He is a fabulous keeper of his flock and is producing wonderfully tempered birds.

No need to keep the ornery ones...they soften nicely with hot water and garlic.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom