zelda my barnevelda -roo ?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickchicks, Nov 1, 2011.

1. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    helloo

in an earlier topicof mine i asked if i could feed layers again to my chickens BUT i have a chick of 12 ish weeks old

i asked if i could feed layers if the chick was male ....
    here is zelda
    i want to double check as the topic was a little even on roo to pullet .

this picture was taken yesterday if it helps
    [​IMG]

please let me know what you think

thank you

2. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a roo to me.
    Love the name,by the way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Definitely a cockerel.

4. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thanks all

it sounds nasty but i did not want a roo [​IMG]
    ( i am thinking about noise and the neighbours there in the 90s and i dont think they would like it)

he then.... is very queit though at the moment and doesn't crow, he sings like gizmo from the gremilins its a lovely noise he even sits down and sways back and too when he does it [​IMG]:love

i hope he stays quiet so i can keep him,ive convinced my mumnot to say anything to the neighbours as i think if they know it will play on there mind that they are hearing him even when he is quiet so fingers crossed no one notices [​IMG]

i just want eggs again! its been too long ( at least 15 ish weeks) without any eggs fromthe girls since they have been raisingzelda and hisbrothers ( who have gone to a great home about a weeks orso ago !)

you cant see very wellinthe pic but his back feathers have a lovely green shine to them !!

with all said does this means i can now try and go to layers as layers dont hurt roo/cockrells does it ? or am i wwrong here

5. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Quote:zelda thanks you !!

it took a while for his name ,hes very quiet and such a mummys boy he doesnt leaveher side for anything untill recently,
    i like to see the attitudes and pic a name to match as best i can .

and i thought zelda rings a littlewith barnevelder [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes, roo, and he can eat layer feed.

Don't underestimate those neighbors. A crowing rooster may take them back to younger years. Older folks often don't sleep as much, or nap during the day, so they might not be bothered by him. Or, they might be so hard of hearing they don't even notice!

7. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    fingers crossed then !!!
    i do hope all goes well with this one as i have already given two out of the three away

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I live across from an old folks home, and they love my chickens. Then again, I live in a very big farming province, so they were most likely farmers or farmers wives or grew up on a farm at one point. I've asked kids that come to visit my chickens what their parents thought, and all loved the chickens! [​IMG] And the rooster, Steve.

Are roosters outlawed in your village/city/town? If not, I would just make friends with your neighbours. They might not mind.

He's very pretty, and definitely a roo.

9. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Quote:i have found no legislaion or rools on chickens or roos at all !

so fingers crossed there is nothing to worry about unless he makes toomuch noise that i getcomplaints.

the neighbours love the girls and have from day one but they did specify to me no roos as they dontlike the idea but IMO i think they wont notice as long as its not all day and early morning all the time they wont think twice about it .

i ama worry wart!
    as i have neighbours all around and live in a builtup area with neighbours back to back too but no onecomplains, ive even heard visitors to the other neighbours shout " do you know they have chickens how cool"

so im gonna keep him for as long as i can get away with it ,
    if i can get my mum to say yes ( which she has!) then i think all is well

and TBH the girls are louder all day than he is he peeps still at 12 weeks nd the girld are near POL and getting loud and theneighbours dont mind that so i cnat see them minding any other noises now

10. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I was shocked to discover that the neighbors who love my chickens most are the oldest- reminds them of their childhood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by