Zelda's Eggs are Hatching! (UPDATED with pics on page 1!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beefy, Nov 1, 2008.

1. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    when i went to feed today, Zelda got off her nest to eat, and i checked on her eggs. they are supposed to hatch on the 3rd. well, two eggs had already pipped and were chirping inside! what do you think about the one with the flake off? the membrane looks sort of tough? i could see the chick pecking at it from the inside...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's a pip and it's fine, she will take care of them. Patience!!

3. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    she has at least 3 babies. two look like australorps (black and yellow) and the other one has an orange head which is sorta weird...
    one fell out of the chair and was chirping like all get out and still wet. but i came to the rescue.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Your hen has been brooding in the chair the whole time?? Wow, my dad would kill me!!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I was just thinking what an odd place to make a nest and hatch chicks !! I would make sure she is some place near the ground so the babies dont fall anymore.... Also an area that is draft free (if its getting cold were you are)

6. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    well the chair used to be on the front porch, under a table. so it was a little more 'hidden' than it is now. and when she went broody i moved it in there so i could close her up at night. a few days ago it was windy and raining in on her so i put up a piece of plywood to break the wind and rain. i plan to fix up some ground nests for her tomorrow or maybe a dogloo. i never imagined they would hatch this early.

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Peanut, I was wondering when these were going to hatch! I love the pics, cant wait to see the chicks. Congrats!

8. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    [​IMG]

Did that chicken Lay eggs on a lawn chair?!?

9. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    Zelda is a very special chicken.

theOEGBman, i have some pics on my cellfone but it and fotobucket are having some kind of lovers quarrel so you may not get to see them tonite.

heres the one who fell out of the chair wet. it looked grayish with bald spots when i saw it, lol. and lots of hairgel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  10. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    some of these chicks got on the back of zeldas neck and totally disappeared into her neck feathers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by