Zen Hen pen

sunnychicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 23, 2010
Saw a model of a coop called named Zen Hen Pen on Craigslist. But somehow, all his listings are removed. I am not sure what this means.

Has anyone here bought from him? If so, would like to know if the coop is any good. It looks really impressive.

Thanks,

I used some Google-Fu and uncovered this: http://farmville.blogandinfo.com/2010/07/26/zen-hen-pens-part-2-of-3/

Has
a video, and the writeup says:

".... Zen Hen Pens builds sturdy chicken coops from Cedar and pine with barn-style roosting boxes, good ventilation and plenty of room. Roosts have viewing windows and direct access for collecting eggs. Coops are easy to clean, have large sliding doors and wheels for easy relocation around your garden. Zen Hen Pens coops look great in your garden and are a practical and safe home for your chickens. Speedy delivery anywhere in the Bay Area [email protected] 650-290-0757 ... "

Yes, we purchased a Zen Hen Pen. It's beautiful. However, now that we've had chickens for several months, I've noticed some issues, which I'm sure Graham would correct should you tell him what you want.

1. Coop looks like a barn - so cute!
2. Lots of doors for ventilation & ease of cleaning. Screens on windows offer extra ventilation and safe "windows" for the chickies to look out.
3. Perch located above nesting boxes, which means lots of poop in the nesting boxes. I would specify that perch be located elsewhere.
4. Door latches are 2-fold: 1), wooden rotating latch (held on with screw and my kids unscrew these, and one is stuck to the wall from the paint and I never have been able to loosen it) and 2) small metal clips which my kids can't open and I can open with some minor difficulty. This may be good or bad depending on your preferences. Raccoons would not be able to open, for example.

He has some pre-made coops or can make a custom order for a very good price.

I don't feel right listing his email address online but if you message me privately I'll send it to you. I think he has an Etsy store too.

Back
Top Bottom