Zena Princess Warrior is a Prince?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Prairie Mary, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Prairie Mary

Prairie Mary Out Of The Brooder

Yea, by now I should be able to tell the sex of 9 week old chickens, right!? Well we have a Cuckoo Maran that started crowing. As far as I can tell she's a hen but I'm not familiar with Marans and I'm dying to know so can anyone tell me for sure? I wouldn't mine having a roo around. She is quite a warrior and lives up to her name . . . which she got at 1 day old.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whatcha think!?[​IMG]

2. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    what a pretty little roo you have there [​IMG]

3. Prairie Mary

Really! I don't see any spurs so I figured she/he to be a hen. A Roo would be cool! [​IMG]

So now what is the male version of the name Zena? Hmmm. Hubs thought up Conan. [​IMG]
    Maybe I'll just call him Prince Zee.

Oh wait . . . Marans are supposed to lay dark brown eggs . . . and he's the only Maran I have. Oh . . . well . . .

4. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    I don't think roos have to get spurs, and I sometimes hens get spurs so i think its just a thing that some get.
    Your chicken looks like a roo because for 9 weeks old, it has such a red comb and wattles and they are quite developed too.
    Good Luck!

P.S. I named one of my chicks Lucy and it turned out to be a boy but I didn't change the name. I guess thats why he acts a bit feminine...

5. Prairie Mary

Yea, I noticed that "she" was getting quite a wattle. That's what led me to ask . . . well besides the crowing attempts. LOL Although, I've read that in the absence of a roo sometimes a hen will apply for the job and try crowing too . . . so I thought that may be happening.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by