Zero Eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OneACluck, Jan 16, 2017.

1. OneACluck

OneACluck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    New Carlisle OH
    Hey all,
    wondeing if anyone can help me out, i have a large 25x40 horse barn i turned into a coop for my 14 hens, during the summer i was getting alot of eggs but now i dont get any at all, all the layer boxes are in the same place, all have fresh hay in them, floors are all covered in straw, no wind, i even put in a window for air and light, they dont even seem to go near the boxes anymore.
    i was wondering if anyone might know any tricks to help me out.
    thank you

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Have you checked to see if they're hiding them, or they're laying randomly in the pen and the eggs are being covered accidentally? Are any of them molting? Laying will naturally slow down in winter as the days get shorter.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    X2 old are your hens and what breed? Mine really slowed this winter. They're getting older. It seemed to take last spring's pullets forever to start laying They hatched late and just started and finally the older birds are kicking in. Finally!!!!!!
    The California greys and Easter eggers are leading the laying and took the least time off, only eight to ten weeks, but I haven't seen a brown egg in quite a while and a dark brown egg even longer.

4. OneACluck

Oct 5, 2015
    New Carlisle OH
    Ive looked all over, they arent hiding any, they arent going in the layer boxes at all, they are untouched, they are all ages, but mostly 8months and up

5. OneACluck

Oct 5, 2015
    New Carlisle OH
    also none are molting, they did that a while ago and never laid after

6. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    It's probably just the weather then. Do you have artificial lighting? Chickens need about 14 hours of daylight for proper egg production, which is why winter laying tends to decrease dramatically.

7. OneACluck

Oct 5, 2015
    New Carlisle OH
    i have a solar panel light in there and i did install a window so its bright for most of the time

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What breeds do you have?

Are any of the birds at the 18month mark?

What are you feeding?

9. OneACluck

Oct 5, 2015
    New Carlisle OH
    They are all younger than 18 months and I feed them layer pellets, they are all kind of different breeds I'll take some pictures as I really don't know the names.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  10. TomGallopavo

TomGallopavo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Hillbillyville, MO
    I currently have 11 hens and got nine eggs this evening. They have plenty of egg layer feed, a clean coop, have finished molting, and a double sunlight led light comes on at 2 am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by