1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

zip and hatch help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickiechik, Aug 20, 2011.

1. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    Hatching in a Brinsea advance mini. Have 4 hatched with 1 partly zipped, but the babies are rolling the zipped egg facing down and sitting on the egg covering its zip. Any suggestions?

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    for now leave it alone bumper cars is just part of the process, but if you want the other chicks to get off the egg shine a flash lite on them the bright lite seems to startle them and they move.

3. chickiechik

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    Thanks Dan. It worked for a few minutes but their all back there. I think they are trying to help him/her out and have just about totally covered the piped egg. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for a 100% hatch rate.

4. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    On your next hatch, when it's lockdown time, put the eggs fat side up in a paper egg carton, cut down on the sides. They will zip right around the top and pot right out, tried and true. You never have any chicks lost to rolling around

5. chickiechik

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    this is my 2nd hatch i'm a newbie and my last hatch I used a genesis and did that. This is a Brinsea mini and there is just not enough room in there for them. If it has started to zip about an inch can I help it?

6. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    help it? why has it been zipped that way for over 24 hours? I've helped some that I know might be shrink wrapped, because of having to take the cover off or other reasons, and if it's been that way for 12-24 hours. But if it's only been a few hours leave it. You can mess up the other eggs if they have pipped. Shine a flashlight on it to see if you can tell if their is any movement...tell me more

7. chickiechik

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    GOOD NEW!! All 5 hatched. I was a nervous wreck with the last egg. The others were rolling it around. BUT it hatched so thats all that matters. Good fertility and nice shipped eggs. They are Greenfire farm Swedish flower hens. Absolutely cutie pies! [​IMG]:clap [​IMG]

8. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    Congrats on not touching and let it do it, now pics of 5 little guys in there? [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    WooHoo!! [​IMG]

Oh goodness...how much did them eggs cost? [​IMG]

Awaiting pictures... [​IMG] [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

10. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho