1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Zip lock Purina Dog food bags

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tdgill, Sep 29, 2011.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed my dogs Beneful by purina. Comes in a nice easy zip lock bag. Why don't they make chicken feed with those zip locks. Thinking I might transfer what's left in the chicken feed into the empty Beneful bag.... I hate ants and other buggies getting a chance at it. I've been keeping my feed in the house lately, and really like the zip lock on dog food bag, but do want to get a storage container for the shed. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I use a metal trash can with a fairly tight-fitting lid. So far, the bugs have stayed out of it, it has stayed dry, the raccoons, skunks, and possums have not gotten into it, and mice and rats have not chewed their way into it. If you want, you can do the zip-loc bag thing, but I do suggest storing it where the rats and mice cannot chew their way into it.

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I got some plastic pet food bins from petsmart. I usually picked whichever one was big enough and cheapest overall. They've worked great; no bugs. The one Incident we had was with the sunflower seed bin. Refilled it on the back porch and thought it was ok to leave out for a bit. Went back three hours later to put in the the mini-shed and found the top chewed through. That must have been one hungry squirrel!

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Quote:I agree! That would be great. I keep my feed in my coop in the small aisle and no rodents/bugs have gotten into it in the 4+ years I have been storing it there but I will occasionally find a sneaky chicken that slips in helping itself.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would never get plastic or rubber bins, mice and rats chewed thru mine. So I got metal bins and so far, so good. Not a rat can chew thru it.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I non working chest freezer works also well for food storage.

7. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Yeah, I just use a large bin. Works good!

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    because the whole 50lb bag of feed goes into the feeder.

and anyways we are lucky for a bag to last a week, so no long time storage here.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Worked great with my horse feed!

10. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i just got a plastic trash can ALOT cuz we buy our chicken feed by the ton

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by