Zip ties as leg bands

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChcknLady, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    I've seen a few people mention that they use colored zip ties as leg bands. Doesn't the cut off excess of the zip tie get very sharp? I don't want to do anything detrimental to the babies but would greatly appreciate any ideas on how to tell 5 Buff Orps apart?

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Well, Im curious, so bear with me - why does it matter that you do?

As for the ties, just rub the closely cut end with a hot iron, or melt it back with a cigarette lighter.

3. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I've used them for years and not had any problems. I just cut them off.

Donna

4. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    I bought colored (red, orange, green, blue and yellow) velcro strips from the hardware store and cut them to width and length. I found them in the electrical wire section, they're sold as wraps for cords and such. They work great. We check and adjust them every few days since they are growing so fast.

5. IN-farmgirl

IN-farmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    I used them for my orps. I just cut them with scissors...no sharp edges. At first all I could find was the whitish colored and I made patterns in sharpie marker on the plastic to tell them apart. I found colored ones later and switched to the colors. Just make sure to switch them out as the chicks grow. You can cut them off their legs with scissors or wire cutters.

They worked GREAT for us. Now that I can tell the girls apart, I can cut them all off. (I like knowing who is who too!!)

6. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I have used them to tell ages of my birds to see how many should be laying and who is next to lay. My birds are very smart though. They try to pick eachothers off and i have found some around the coop so make sure that they are tight enough they wont come off but gives them some room to grow

7. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    IN farmgirl- where did you end up finding the colored ones? I have found the white ones at our walmart, but no colored ones...

8. IN-farmgirl

IN-farmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Quote:I found them at Tractor Supply!!

9. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    thanks!

10. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009