Zip ties for leg bands?

I did\\do.............

My concern is staying on top of the growth of the bird
so as to keep it loose.

I got the idea from Luke (BYC member) and he was so
smart that he even double or triple banded to keep things
straight. I suppose you could even use diff colors of zip
ties.....

thats a good idea, ,but will the metal hurt there legs or if they pick on the metal ?
smile.png

I use them, and they work great. You just have to check them periodically on growing birds; I found I only needed to change them 3 times before the bird was done growing. One thing you might consider: avoid the red ones. They peck the crap out of them, just like they peck at a bird that's bleeding. I should have thought of that before I put the red one on once....took it right back off!

I use them, colored ones, as temporary bands, to ensure I have everyone when I'm treating the flock (worming, dusting, etc), and I use pink or blue when I want to see if I'm guessing right (boy or girl)....I didnt have anything else around when I needed them, thats how come I started using them. You just have to be aware, every day, of their growth if they're young - since zip ties arent flexible, you can cause injury/strangulation of the limb, if left on too tight. I like them, but only for my own birds, that I handle all the time. I wouldnt rehome a bird with a zip tie on it. (They also could potentially tighten by accident). Personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom