Zip ties have 'grown into' the legs..help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Little friend, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Little friend

Little friend New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    I have just adopted 4 silky hens.
    They all limp and on close inspection, the zip ties have grown into their legs, some very deep.
    They are all about 4 months old.
    Is there any way of removing them safely?
    I fear the legs will drop off due to lack of circulation if their not removed ASAP.
    :(

2. IGmom

IGmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Bixby, Ok.
    Why did they have zip ties on them in the first place?

3. IGmom

IGmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Bixby, Ok.
    it is prob painful and yes, just like any animal or human even, if the constriction is not removed it can kill tissue, cause deformities, etc., they need to be removed. Might need to enlist the help of a vet if you cant get under them. Curved suture removal scissors would be a good bet if you can get the tip under them without too much trouble.

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I agree! You need to cut them and get the off right away. Do you have an "assistant"? I've not had to deal with this before, but if I were to do this, I would wrap one girl up in a towel - and I'm assuming you can't get anything UNDER the zip tie to cut it - I think I'd try a smallish pair of wire cutters or something similar and gently clip away at a spot - a little at a time. If the skin has grown over the zip tie you'll need to get a scalpel, xacto knife, or something like that to cut through the skin. All of this of course needs to be sterilized - alcohol or boiled maybe - and I'd clean the area with betadine if you have it before and after. Once the tie is out, and you cleaned the wound with betadine, slather neosporin on it, wrap with gauze, then a couple of layers of vet wrap.

5. Little friend

Little friend New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    THANK you both so much for your quick and helpful responses.
    I am going to attempt it this afternoon after I've purchased both suture scissors and
    Betadine.

6. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Best way to cut zip ties that are on something very tight is to nip off the "nub" that locks them into place. You know, the little plastic box that you pull the other end through. Small, sharp wire cutters and cut the little nub off, that will ease the pressure on the whole leg. Um not sure about the exact method of removing the rest of the band if it has grown into the skin.

7. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    That is all good advice but if it is grown into that deeply then it will mean twice daily cleanings and changing bandages plus antibotics to help with the infection. If it is cut into the skin thier will be dead tissue, depending on how bad take gauze and you will have to debree the dead stuff off with betadine wash then spray Ketote blue to pervent fly's. I'm thinking neosporine might be spendy but you could use bacatracine, A&D ointment. What ever you do, do not use peroxide as that will just cause more tissue damage to the good. You will want to just use regular gauze and not the non-stick kind, and use a little cotton roll for add padding before the Vet-wrap. Make sure you don't get the vet-wrap to tight as that will also cut off circulation. I comende you for taking in these poor creatures but you now have your hands full. I would make sure that all products are acceptable for poultry before using. I was a large (Farm) animal assistant for a Vet. Good luck

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  8. Little friend

Little friend New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Done!
    The wire cutters worked instantly on the 'nub' of the zip ties.
    As soon as that was compromised the rest of the zip tie slipped out quite easily.
    2 of the girls are medicated and disinfected heavily, the other two seemed not much worse for wear.
    I cannot thank you all enough.
    I'm so grateful. Without your guidance I would not have had the confidence or known when or how to move on this.
    Thank you x

9. IGmom

IGmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Bixby, Ok.
    Yay!!![​IMG]

10. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Glad that helped. My husband (electrician) yelled at me for scratching up our railing trying to cut under a zip tie to take our Christmas lights down. He said "why fight to get under it and scratch the hell out of something when all you need to do is pop the lock off and it falls apart?". I've never known how often I would share that advice... Never try to get under what you can easily go through. I'm glad that helped your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by