Zipped egg!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Paintedhorsegirl, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    M ymallard has been on her nest now for 30 days..OMG and no ducklings yet, but this morning when she got up to get a drink I looked at the nest most of the eggs were covered with her down and shavings but I noticed 2 that werent and they appear to have a crack all the way around them..This means they zipped, right? So they should hatch at any time? How long does it take to hatch after they have zipped? Ive hatched chickens before but never ducks , so this is new to me.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If they have cracks going in a circle around where the air cell is- then yes- your ducklings are Unzipping and will hatch as soon as they they can push the top off the eggs. Congratulations on the imminent new babies.

3. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    They are able to hatch under the mommy duck, her weight on the eggs dont slow down the progress? When I hatched chicks it was in an incubator not only is hatching ducklings new to me but this is my first broody duck. I dont know what to expect, I stay awake at night wondering if they are ok and I wish i could help but I know I need to let mommy duck do this. The mother duck, this is her first clutch, she will know what to do out of intstincy, right?

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Some ducks have better instincts than others. First time moms can have issues- so watch carefully how she goes with them once hatched. It might be a good idea to get a brooder ready in case of problems- but fingers crossed for you she will be a great first timer.

5. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    I have a brooder all set up, I actually have a lone chicken thats about 6 months living in it. She wont go in with the flock and everytime we try they fight/ She does free range during the day but stays close to the house and avoids the other hens, shes attached to my daughter. She would rather follow my daughter then hang with the hens. But if I need the brooder then shes gonna have to get a grip and move in with the other hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by