1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Zipping stopped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Deca, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Deca

Deca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    Hello - last night at 8pm chick started zipping. This morning at 7, there appears to be no progress. The chick is moving inside and sometimes beak comes out the hole. Also she makes no more sound whereas she was very talkative yesterday evening.

See picture as well- should I assist? Today is day21.

thanks
    Dan

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yep, you'll want to give her a hand. Whenever they stop during zipping it's an indication that they're stuck and need help to get out.

The membrane looks yellow in the picture, which is a sign of shrinkwrapping, so there's a good chance that that's what's happened here.

1 person likes this.
  3. Deca

Deca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    Ok- I gently removed some shell with a tweezer. The membrane below was nice and white. Used a qtip to wet the yellow/browish parts. Returned the egg on a damp small kitchen cloth (shammy) back to the incubator..humidity is now 75-79%..lets hope for the best

4. Deca

Deca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    So six hours after I helped her out a bit, still no progress- she is still moving in there though..shall I remove more shell? Fully 'unzip'?

1 person likes this.
  5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yep, go ahead. Once they start zipping they are ready to come out all the way. Just stop if you see blood, but you shouldn't.

1 person likes this.
  6. Deca

Deca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    This is the weakest chick ever..made a full circular zip through the shell- but she still doesnt manage to further tear the membrame...shall I also help tear/cut the membrane?

1 person likes this.
  7. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    yes, remove the 'lid' the part the the chick zipped

1 person likes this.
  8. Deca

Deca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    thanks guys, she lived but is weak and has a warped foot which we taped in now. Just made the move to the brooder!

1 person likes this.
  9. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    congrats! do you have any electrolytes you can add to its water? it will help

1 person likes this.
  10. Deca

Deca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    I gave it some sugarwater - I do have Lyteshow (https://www.lyteshow.com/) which I use when I'm hungover...lol...Think I can add that?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by